English teacher is paedophile suspect

elef

As an observation, the school in question is an International School. Presumably then he is a PGCE etc 'qualified teacher' and the same standards and checks that would be required at a school in the UK or 'the west' would have to be performed. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't, but it raised an eyebrow or two down here.

I'll get on with week's work now: Liaising with the Criminal Records agency in the UK and seeing if they can check prospective teachers (they can) or an 'umbrella body' over here in Thailand that can assist (there isn't) or whether indeed that we cannot get that status for ourselves (apparently not unless I can shove through 100 checks a year; an impossibility but I see a way if they will play ball).

First Karr, now this man. Let's just have a purge right now and put an end to it once and for all.

The thing is - new regulations re. visas and work permits are already in place. For instance, 3 sets of fingerprints by the Thai police, checks for criminal records in Thailand and the UK and so on. I've had one teacher go to Laos twice already and return sans Type 'B' because presumably one department cannot or will not talk to another. I fear that they will give up on it in the end - and that will do nobody any good. The weirdos will always get through.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I was leaving a teaching job after 2 years for a better position. I was determined to find a replacement teacher ASAP as I kind of liked my students and felt I owed it to them to find a decent replacement.

One of the difficulties that pops up in such a situation is that you often have a bunch of "acquaintances" who you would never allow to teach your kids asking you to put a good word in for them and getting the hump when you don't.

Anyway, we advertized the position and lined up some interviews/observed classes.

This American guy sends in his CV which claims he has experience teaching in Vietnam and in Thailand and that he is also a private investigator. Problem is, he doesn't include addresses or phone numbers for the schools he claims to have worked for.

He was called in for an interview any way and turns up with 2 bargirls in tow. I had told him a few days before that he would have to teach one observed class on a topic of my choosing. He panicked, said he didn't have his books and so on... so I gave him a lesson plan for the class. He also claimed to have forgotten the addresses/general locations of the places he had worked in both in Vietnam and in Thailand.

He made a complete mess of the class... he was terrible, cringe-worthy. After the class my Thai co-teacher asked me what I thought of the guy, I turned the question around and asked him what he thought. He replied "I think he can do!".

Jesus... over my dead body. Hope this wasn't one of you guys.

Why do these stupid c*unts always seem to end up here...

Also, how was he able to leave the UK? And why indeed was an obviously VERY dangerous man allowed on bail at all?

Well in Belle-gium we had this asshole 10 years ago who got released from prison for raping a little girl after he sat 3 years of his 8 years sentence.

Then some day two girls aged 10 and 11 disapeared from a play ground near their homes. The police looked here and there. Some even said they should have a look at that guys house because he told everyone he made a cellar to lock-up little girls.

Then two adults girls disapeared, some months later two girls aged 13/14 disapeared. at last the police did some real research and found the two last alive, the other 4 buried in his garden.

Took them 8 years to go to court and condamn the asshole to life term in a warm cell with good food and a big TV.:cussing:

Then two years back we had this Fourniret who killed how many???? we still don't know.

Problem is many primary and secondary schools are looking for a "white face" to show that they've got one too. I've met teachers who admitted they didn't have even a BA degree in any subject. But they were sent by an agency and the school couldn't be arsed to double check.

I've seen universities check when they thought something was suspicous, but normally they don't. The department called the unie one ex-colleague claimed to have graduated from. It turned out he actually did, though he was a crap teacher anyway.

Guest lazyphil

i'm a bit loathed to step in here and look like a americanphile sycophant but elefs comment is another example of the ever pervasive anti american tripe i find so pathetic on this board.

If you're including me in that, er, Oliver...I'm not anti-American. Far from it. But I was totally opposed to the invasion of Iraq from the beginning and I see no reason to change. Not so long ago if you recall we weren't allowed to discuss politics on the board. I'm glad KS opened it up.

Archived