Update to the coming Apocalypse

preahko

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pleased to read in a book about America, with the writer saying something similar, "Run for local office, do it, you'll be surrised because you may just win"

I just stumbled over this one while wandering through old threads.

True story: In 2008, my brother put me up to running for Congress on the Libertarian ticket. They needed SOMEONE to run in that district, so they wouldn't have to requalify for ballot access. I figured it might be fun, and an opportunity to say some things that needed saying.

So I did.

A week after I filed, the Democrat challenger to the incumbent Republican missed the filing deadline, making it a two-man race.

I made it to exactly one "meet the candidates" thing, I managed to get a small website up, I did a couple of telephone interviews and a couple of talk radio dialin shows, and I answered a fair number of emails from voters. (I got back several replies saying "You've got my vote." Nice feeling.)

When it came down, the incumbent won, handily. BUT. I took just under 12% of the vote. Some 25,000 people who I'd never met thought I was a better choice than the incumbent.

I spent less than $1000, total, on the campaign. The incumbent burned through something over $200,000.

Next time around, there were five (5) names on the ballot for that district: the incumbent, a Democrat, and THREE third-party guys. My brother says I changed history.

Me, I'm still amazed, and part of me wonders what might have happened if I'd taken donations, spent serious money, and campaigned my ass off.

As long as the Thais are friendly about what they are doing and not aggressive or rude about it then I would not worry a whole lot. This could be just a passing phase. If attitudes on their part turn south then I would be concerned. I am sure our Thai ladies will pick up on if something is amiss and we need to be vigilant.

Oddly enough, as retarded as the Philippines can be, I don't ever recall them doing anything like this.

Archived