Favourite Book Of All Time?

MooNoi

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiction - Gunter Grass "The Tin Drum"

Science Fiction - Frank Herbert "Dune" (film was awful however)

Fantasy - J. R. Tolkien "Lord Of The Rings"

History - A. J. P. Taylor "Bismarck"

Self Knowledge - M. Scott Peck "The Road Less Travelled" & S. Covey "Seven Habits Of Highly Effective OPeople"

Science - S. Hawking "A Brief History Of Time" & "The Universe In A Nutshell"

Thailand - C. Moore "God Of Darkness"

I ll second Herman Hesse. Great writer who can has a strong spiritual/soul searching element in his writing, but written in beautiful language and unpretentious way. I liked Siddhartha and Gertrude.

Vedanta Treatise by Swami A Parthsarathy. THis is a true manual for life and death. The world needs this book iMHO. Its truth is its own authority and it expounds scientific knowledge with facts of living. Teaches how to analyse and objectify for yourself and not to rely on authorities to do your thinking. It really leads you on a journey to that enables us to program our evolution by conscious effort and less selfish actions. I am eternally greatful to the guy who put in the direction of this hard to find title.

Music of the MInd- daryly Reaney.

Zen Guitar

Irvine Welsh-Trainspotting, Filth, The acid house etc.

"Murder at the Horny Toad Bar" by Dean Barrett.

Just pulled that one out from under my coffee table when I read your post and noticed that I'd spilt coffee all over it. Damn! I'm certain that the author would encourage me to go buy a replacement, if it's still in print. At least 'Thailand, Land of Beautiful Women' seems to remain unscathed.

But, with all due respect to Mr. Barrett, I'd have to say that 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' by Hunter S. Thompson was the most influential book I ever read.

Prior to that, it was 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' by Mark Twain.

I really wish I'd stuck with Huck as a role model.

I can't narrow it down to any particular book or books, but for authors, fiction and non:

P.G. Wodehouse

Raymond Chandler

Dashiel Hammett

Patrick O'Brian

George Orwell

George MacDonald Fraser

Bertrand Russell

John Keegan

John Luckacs

James Boswell

There're more, but I that's quite enough to go on with...

Flashermac: You're joking, right? I mean, I loved Hesse from my teens to mid-twenties, but he's a young man's writer, don't you think?

"Our tastes greatly alter. The lad does not care for the child's rattle, and the old man does not care for the young man's whore."

Samuel Johnson

Archived