Favourite Book Of All Time?

MooNoi

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read M/F by him and at the poignant moment shouted "Fuck me !" on the underground.

Cheers

M/F (Motherfucker) one of my favorites by Burgess. His Malaysian Trilogy still sets the standard for expat literature IMO.

I'm a big Kingsley Amis fan too, another pompous old prick. 'The Old Devils' and 'Stanley and the Women' are among his best.

hi OH........ :wave:

i have all of Pira's books and used to take them to Thailand with me.

the versions i have have photo's and the Girls liked to flip through them and look at the photo's of rural village life.

a good start to a fun night.......almost as much as 'Thailand for lovers' which resulted in a few interesting Nights after i had shown them the Thai text........ :hubba: :yay:

• 3 weeks later...

Best book? Not sure, but I like John Grisham's "The Testament".

The first 50 pages are the best I have ever read. Rich old billionare rewrites his last will and testament and leaves everything to a daughter that no one knew existed. And leaves nothing for his ex-wives and loser children. Then he jumps out of the window and lands near the family as they exit his building.

Dog, my hero!

you're a Nevil Shute fan, too!

'Round the Bend' was great, but so was 'a far country', 'the trustee from the toolroom', and half a dozen others. When i was 15, I read 'Pastoral' and cried. He wrote about 26 books, I think i read all of them, most 2-3 times, mostly in my teens. Some re-read in my thirties, half were still great, some not so.

Now i read mainly pulp, Greg Iles, spy stories.

Probably my favourite author is John LeCarre, just about everyone a masterpiece, and getting better and better yet.

Graham Greene (especially the Vietnam one), Len Deighton (before he went Hollywood)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance introduced me to the concept of Quality.

'Me and Martha Jane', don't know if it ever got published, found it on the net, probably the most erotic novel I've ever read.

Anyone got aview about William Dalrymple?

• 2 weeks later...

Graham Greene's pretty good. Got "The Power And The Glory" on the go at the mo' back in blighty although rather cleverly neglected to pack it.

Currently reading a former Booker prize winner "The Siege of Krishnapur" by JG Farrell about the Indian Mutiny. Funny book. Very subtle comedy of manners of Brits during the Raj. Plus fighting!

Books finished recently include a Japanese bird whose name escapes me but is a top thriller writer in land of rising sun - about chicks in a packed lunch factory cutting up one of their husbands. Think it's called "Out."

Also recently read "Vernon God Little" by DBC Pierre - real funny, poignant stuff. And Truman Capote's "Breakfast At Tiffanys". He's pretty incisive. Didn't think I'd take to it but got under my skin.

Apart from that, don't think you can beat a good old Sven Hassell. Marvellous bollocks about whoring, boozing and killing. With tanks!

Archived