A Thai lesson from notstickman.

chuckwoww

"Gnern Yaah" is way an English speaking Thai spelled the words. Gnern is a very difficult word to say. It's nearly impossible to write in English. It's a sound that comes from the back of the mouth with tongue against the roof of the mouth and the tongue comes off the roof of the mouth for a moment. There is no real "n" sound in it. It takes practice to say correctly. I would have spelled it Guugn because I don't really hear the "r" very subtle in this word. Gnern is the word for money. Tom Gnern is Thai for work (making money, or doing money). Or, if you may say Mai Me Gnern. That mean "I don't have money". Or Gnern Yut, which means "lots of money".

http://www.notstickmanbangkok.com/Weekly2007/FirstSinSotThenComesGnernYaah.htm

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Oh my God!! What a load of bollocks!

'Ngern' (more common spelling I think) is NOT the word used in 'tham ngaan' (working).

And what the fuck is 'Yut'? Sounds like the word for 'stop'.

The Thai words for 'don't' and 'divorce' are also NOT the same. They might sound the similar (different tones) and be transliterated the same, but there are definitely not the same.

It's obvious that Galt has no clue about the Thai language.

Sanuk!

Hi,

'Ngern' (more common spelling I think) is NOT the word used in 'tham ngaan' (working).

And what the fuck is 'Yut'? Sounds like the word for 'stop'.

I guess he means Yuh �ยอะ, but apperently he is making up his own personal transliteration scheme along the way and that combined with what little knowledge he has of thai language, who can tell really? :)

cheers

hn

Archived