The piracy issue...

Yes and no. I've known for a long time the couple whose business it *IS*. A student did the website programming.

The previous version of the website was basically just a file to download listing all the software and MP3s, and a form to get on their e-mail mailing list.

Since then, there have been some pressures on their shops in Pantip and elsewhere. No, they aren't shut down. Because they didn't sell RS and Grammy software (nor other Thai software except Microsoft's), they pay off everyone, and they are on good terms, they were not the sacrificial lambs.

However, there were pressures from foreign governments over trade, and so I was asked to translate their position in English, the Reasons section. I sort of expanded their "reasons" a little, along the lines of the first message of this thread.

From there, it grew a little. I added a lot of explanation in English, a fun header to the MP3 section, and so on. As they say now, there's TOO MUCH English. A while back, pretty much the only text is what you see in the Thai version.

We may bring in a graphics artist, though that adds someone who would know who we are, and the art really doesn't count for a website like this one.

Tonight, it's finished. We drove around campus to an Internet cafe to upload my updates from a CD. I have a headache right now from all the kids playing games here and blaring speakers. It's been a long night. Looking forward to the promised dinner at 13 Coins.

I teach English, so my salary is nearly that of a Thai's. Believe me, I can walk in Thai shoes and see through the eyes of a Thai.

All the best, mai bpen rai,

Mailman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does this subject have to be so serious?

Look, if you don't want to buy 'thai' copies your welcome, but please stop moralizing others about intellectual property.

I see it this way: Someone produces fine MP3. They function properly, so I'm happy. And I pay the price they ask for. So I definetely don't steal. That's capitalism. So called intellectual property is just a smartasses definition of greed to sell something one already sold once one more time.

db_sed_aloha has pretty much sewn the argument up through use of logical, well-thought-through points. I don't know how anyone can argue that it's not stealing to rip off something you can't afford, unless you have bollocks for brains.

A nurse earning 8000 baht a month in Thailand doesn't have to have the latest copy of Windows, or any computer program, any more than I have to possess a stolen BMW I might fancy.

Buy the copies if you want, but it is stealing.

As long software houses can provide free copies of browser software, one will understand that the entire software industry is one big rip off, heading by the Microsoft Bullies and reducing piracy is only in their interest of profits.

In my company we are spending tremendous amount of money to keep the computer systems running on the latest software and to keep our own developed software compatible.

This year we will have a compnay wide update to the latest MS windows XP operation system all using original software as we do have corporate guidelines and compliance inspections.

Buying pirated software is stealing but I cannot blame people if they buy this for personal use.

quote:

Originally posted by db_sed_aloha:

"We do NOT offer:

Software made in Thailand (don't rip off Thai talent)".

But feel free to rip-off foreigners? Sanctimonious asshole!

Seems the same attitude with pirated music. Lots of copied farang artists, but I've never seen Thai bootlegs. (Of course they are always priced much lower, so less of an incentive...)

Hi All

Busy day at work...thus only just saw the forum.

The main point I was making is that Thailand has a lot MORE IMPORTANT social issues than piracy. Health care, poverty etc are a lot more important than appeasing western corporations.

Re wages, the BMW analogy is pretty stupid. You don't NEED a BMW. A Thai student on a few thousand baht NEEDS windows + word nowadays.

Re the moralists. I can see your point, but I used to work with a Lawyer who made Attorney Generals Department and I always remember him joking that "there wouldn't be a judge on one bench of one court" in this (western)country that hasn't had copied a friends record, or borrowed a friends video or book.

laugh.gif" border="0

It goes on...everyone knows that...and the price IS ADDED INTO the RRP to cater for that fact. Thus they get their money anyway.

As stated, a third world country has much more to worry about...

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Monkey ]

Archived