The piracy issue...

quote:

Originally posted by Monkey:

Hi All

Busy day at work...thus only just saw the forum.

The main point I was making is that Thailand has a lot MORE IMPORTANT social issues than piracy. Health care, poverty etc are a lot more important than appeasing western corporations.

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Monkey ]

Perhaps if looked straight on yes, but we live in the real world.Nothing is ever so simple

One important reason why Thailand and other countries are tightening up on copyright protection is that the USA and others affected by this issue link the crackdown on pirated goods to favorable tarrifs/ treatment on legitimate trade and aid between countries. This does have an impact on thai society in general and social issues

the Thai government has been under persistent pressure from its own music industry to do something about this issue. Please note the event held at Pantip Plaza at the end of last week as reported in the press.

All those affected by this industry will gripe to their 'elected officials'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

Seems the same attitude with pirated music. Lots of copied farang artists, but I've never seen Thai bootlegs. (Of course they are always priced much lower, so less of an incentive...)

You must be looking in the wrong places . Pirated copies of thai artists are all over the place.

Last week at Panthip (friday i beleive) an event was organised byt the recording industry of Thailand, Grammy etc. To promote the purchase of legit copies and to persuade stall owners to cooperate.

Prices of local product have been coming down in order to help facilitate the movement from pirated to legit.

thius i would suggest that the local Thai industry does see pirated copies of local artists an issue adversely affecting local artists

Back again...sorry...slightly rushing! smile.gif" border="0

Aloha...my wifes cousin, for exapmple, is required to do all her essays on MS Word.

She gets about 2500 baht per month to work part time in a gem store...so i doubt she can afford to pay 3000 baht for a 'real' copy.

Yes...I see the point of your arguement and, in theory, agree with it. In reality however, we shall have to agree to disagree. Until Thailand is economically on par with the first world, piracy should not be an issue.

If the western world was serious BTW, they'd target Malaysia...which is MUCH better off finacially than Thailand and where piracy is much, much more prevelant.

The issue of pirated software is sort of a double edged Sword (for lack of a better word). If I were the guy who developed the software, I'd want to be paid for it, but as a consumer, if I can get it for free, I would. I liken it to people who used to record albums onto cassette tape. Everybody did this, and no record companies or rock stars went broke.

When Digital audio tape was introduced, the recording industry went nuts trying to block the technology from hitting the market for fear it would cause them great financial loss. Same argument with cds and dvds. Eventually, I suppose they will come up with a copy guard, and then pirated stuff will deminish until someone finds a way to beat that...

I think if someone makes you a copy of a software disk, then o.k. If someone makes a business out of it, then maybe they are pushing it a bit.One could argue that the price of these items might be lower, if the companies didn't lose so much money to piracy. Lets face it, a company pays whatever to develope a product and bring it to market, and then must recoop all of that money. If they don't sell enough at the needed price, then problems will occur!

The number of copies needed to be sold must take in to account that a certain number of pirated copies will be on the market, thus a higher price must be paid for the "real" product to make up for it. If all the people buying piriated stuff bought the real thing, then the price might come down, and people in poorer countries could by the real stuff also. Of course one could argue that the increase in demand would drive the price higher...

As for LOS, this is a sticky point. How can these guys even hope to get ahead in technology if they can't afford simple software programs? So one could argue I suppose that pirating things is the only way for them, the old "does a hungry man have a right to steal ...?" argument.

This is an interesting point of debate, I am just sorry that some guys have to resort to name calling and insults simply because they disagree with someone.

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

Hi!

I find this thread highly interesting. I had no idea that there were so many board members with high morals. Personally I'm a depraved person that both buys bootleg software and music. Also I pay for for the services of (illegal) prostitutes. The latter being just as illegal as pirated software.

It joys me to find out that so many board members are moral pillars of society that would never dream of breaking the law by buying bootlegs or hiring prostitutes (less competition -> lower prices laugh.gif" border="0 ).

Please, if someone is considering a reply along the line of "there is a difference" don't. It has all been said before and when all is said, laws aren't adaptable to personal taste. Just write your complaints down on a used gym sock and stuff it in your pipe and smoke it.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived