What's bandwidth?

Hi Guys,

My website seems to have been taken down because it has exceeded its bandwidth. And unless I pay 3 dollars per GB the webhosts won't put it back up until the end of the month.

I'm a total computer idiot so could one of you gents give me a brief explanation of what I've done wrong.

Thanks

Phil

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Hi Guys,

My website seems to have been taken down because it has exceeded its bandwidth. And unless I pay 3 dollars per GB the webhosts won't put it back up until the end of the month.

Phil

It just means that you have had quite a lot of visitors. Maybe your site allows people to download certain files, or you allow them to send you information etc. In any case, if you just have a regular website, you hardly ever have too much traffic to pass a certain 'bandwidth' . Just think of it, they want to charge you 3 dollar for 1 GB, can you imagine the amount of data that have to be downloaded or uploaded from your site to reach that number. I guess if you know there is not much uploading and downloading from your site, then there also is the possibility some mistake was made.

Phil,

Everytime someone views one of your pages or pictures, it has to be downloaded from the freeservers.com servers. The amount of times they let that be done is your bandwith limit.

If your pictures are very big, obviously they will use up your bandwith limit quicker. Similiary if your pages are very long, they will use up more bandwith every time someone views them than if they are quite short.

If you don't want to pay (and I wouldn't), maybe you should get rid of some of the pictures and/or split your pages up into more, but smaller, pages which might help a bit.

The best thing to do I reckon is just to sign up again, and put half your site on philipwilliams.freeservers.com and the other half on, say, philipwilliams2.freeservers.com (or some other free hosting company) - effectively doubling your bandwith allowance.

Hi Boemba,

Thanks for the quick reply

My site is just like Stickman's I suppose - long pages of text.

There is nothing in the way of special files to download.

Perhaps they did make a mistake.

Hi Iaxia

Thanks a lot.

I had thought of opening another free site and linking from one to another but couldn't be bothered with all the entering passwords and shit to get to the manager files on TWO sites.

I think I'll try and split some of the pages up although it's not an easy job.

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

[QB]Hi Boemba,

Thanks for the quick reply

I came back to suggest what others have suggested in the mean time. I also remember that your site has one big file, that users are capable of starting to read, but that keeps on loading for a while until it is finished. A regular webpage is usually less than 200 kb, better less than 100 kb, yours might be way above that, you can check it I guess. All this will end up to a lot of bandwidth because the server each time has to send the whole lot. Suppose 1000 visitors times 1MB (or more?) of your site, will already make 1 GB. If the site is smaller, the bandwidth will decrease proportionally. But I figure it will be a lot of work to split it and make a lot of new links.

Phil, your site and mine are two classic examples of sites that eat bandwidth. BUT, I think having long pages of text is the way to go as it makes it easier to read and I personalyl get frustratyed and having to take lots of little nibbles, as opposed to having a good chomp on it! Anyway, god luck in breaking it down, if you decide to do that, though personally, I don't think that's the best way to go.

Thanks everyone,

I seem to back in business.

I opted for paying the hosts 4 dollars a month and doubling the current bandwidth (still not sure if this is going to enough) plus the big bonus of getting rid of the annoying banners.

I just cant work out why I haven't had problems for the 9 months the site has been up and on the 13th day of this month - the site exceeds its bandwidth - sure I appreciate that the pages have got a bit longer but I don't get that many more visitors compared to say 6 months ago. Wierd

Hi Bangkok Phil,

It's probably a money raising excercise, with bandwidth just as an excuse - Homestead were hosting my site and they decided to start charging from the end of September - the excuse was apparently poverty, it certainly wasn't bandwidth in my case!

Anyway I pre-empted them and shut it down last week - however before doing so I looked at a few other "free" hosting companies and at least a few were also changing from "free" (as in not paying anything) to "free" (as in costing money).

I don't think the Trade Descriptions Act applies on the web :-)

Archived