What if someone wais you and you're carrying stuff?

I will usually return the wai whilst holding whatever I'm holding.

If someone wais me while I'm carrying a three foot square cardboard box then it looks totally ridiculous but it's my way of saying well you shouldn't have waied me while I'm carrying a 3 foot square cardboard box.

well there is the famous one handed wai used by Thai office workers carrying brief cases. Remember safety first and don't knock yourself out with your brief case trying to wai back shocked.gif" border="0

!!!!

I really hate that when people wai you when you're holding something. Sometimes it's almost as if they do it on purpose too, like waiting with the wai until I've picked up my bags/suitcased or whatever!!!

But I'm getting better at it; I take precautionary action when I sense a waiable situation arising. I would quickly pass on any stuff that I'm carrying to my girlfriend. Or put it down more quicly, etc.

Then there is the nod or one-handed-wai as a last resort. :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

Originally posted by bungie6:

This often happens to me. I've often got both hands full when someone wais me. Are you supposed to drop your bags and wai back in this situation?

Wai-ing is a difficult concept. Even after years of living in bkk, taking a thai culture course, I find it a pain in the ass with all the different unwritten rules.

I agree a nod and a smile would be fine. But..

It all depends on a situation. If it is someone of a higher status than you wai-ing, you can do do a number of things.

If you are carrying something small. book. newspaper. A 2 handed wai at face level would be returned to the thai

If you are carrying something big in one hand. Ie a shopping bag a one handed wai with your free hand at face level should be done.

If you are carrying something big with both hands, just node. Unless it is someone very imprortant in your life. In that case, stop. put down the object. two handed wai at face level should be done.

If the person "paying the wai" is of lower status. Ie your student, a service girl, a bar girl, or someone you are going to give money to. Just smile and nod and continue on your way.

Nothing makes me laugh more when some guy in shorts arrives into NEP and starts waiing the bar staff.

WYD

quote:

Nothing makes me laugh more when some guy in shorts arrives into NEP and starts waiing the bar staff.

Couldn't agree more - it looks ridiculous!

And then after waiing all the bar staff, he makes everyone laugh by doing all the moves to the macarena. Sad.

All-

I love the "wai".. another thing that makes Thailand so special.. however, the "when to wai and when not to wai" rules are a bit difficult..

I too have had the "my hands are full and I must wai" syndrome.. Not plesant at all..

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

It's pretty simple most of the time...if you've been in the military. The same rules applies betwwen Enlisted members and Officers. Except they don't wai each others, they salute.

Archived