The barfine

khunsanuk

From talking to people and reading the various message boards dedicated to Thai nightlife, it seems that the concept of a barfine is rather unclear to most newbies. Hopefully this article will help in explaining it.

The term barfine is probably rather poorly chosen as it is not a fine as such, although some people seem to think so judging by a newbie I overheard in a bar once. He commented to the mamasan "Why do I have to pay a fine, I don't think I did anything wrong?"

Put simply a barfine is the price you pay to the bar to compensate them for the loss of an employee for the remainder of the evening/night. The barowners reason that more girls in the bar brings in more customers. By taking out the girls, it becomes harder for the bar to attract more customers; hence, they expect a compensation fee, the 'barfine'.

Contrary to the bars in other countries (the Philippines for instance) the barfine only buys the girl out of the bar for the night. Nothing more.

The barfine is not an 'all-in' price, therefore any 'extra services' are to be discussed with the girl, although of course all of them know exactly why you are paying their barfine, and are to be paid to her directly.

The amount of the barfine differs from bar to bar, although it is mostly in the 150-250 Baht range for beerbars, and 400-600 Baht range for GoGo bars. Barfines for waitresses and showgirls are usually higher, and in some bars these girls are not barfinable at all (or only after a certain time).

If you wish to barfine the same girl for several days in a row, talk to the mamasan since you may be able to get a discount.

In most of the bars the girl does not get a cut of the barfine, although some of the bars pay the girl a bonus for every barfine she gets over a certain quota.

So, you pay the bar a barfine to get the girl out of the bar, and you pay the girl for any 'services' she provides.

... Put simply a barfine is the price you pay to the bar to compensate them for the loss of an employee for the remainder of the evening/night. The barowners reason that more girls in the bar brings in more customers. By taking out the girls, it becomes harder for the bar to attract more customers; hence, they expect a compensation fee, the 'barfine' ...

So, if she's already gone out once, short-time, and returned, the bar owners don't expect to be paid again?

... The amount of the barfine differs from bar to bar, although it is mostly in the 150-250 Baht range for beerbars, and 400-600 Baht range for GoGo bars. Barfines for waitresses and showgirls are usually higher, and in some bars these girls are not barfinable at all (or only after a certain time).

You don't get out much anymore, do ya? :) Barfine at, for instance, Lucky Luke's or Big Dogs, bar beers at the entrance to NEP, are 600 baht. The prices you quote are reflective of Pattaya, but not Bangkok anymore.

Barfine at' date=' for instance, Lucky Luke's or Big Dogs, bar beers at the entrance to NEP, are 600 baht. The prices you quote are reflective of Pattaya, but not Bangkok anymore.

[/quote']

I find 600 incredible for those bars. Shit, I wouldn't pay that much for ST for the ones I've seen in those places. Big Dogs has looked like a dog pound when I've walked by.

HH

Aw c'mon Hugh. Ugly girls gotta eat too.

Leave it to the stupid tourists to pull them. And listen to their stories of the stunner they bagged in Bangers. We've heard it all before, haven't we!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cheers,

SD

Aw c'mon Hugh. Ugly girls gotta eat too.

Leave it to the stupid tourists to pull them. And listen to their stories of the stunner they bagged in Bangers. We've heard it all before, haven't we!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cheers,

SD

Not that I should really talk, but at least 50% look like they already eat too much :grin:

HH

• 1 month later...

You don't hear the word "barfine" much apart from on internet forums. The girls and mamasans usually call it "paybar" or something similar. I don't buy the idea that it's there to compensate the bar for the loss of an employee. If it was then you would have thought it would be discouraged but of course it isn't it's encouraged because that's how the bar makes money.

Actually the bar fine (2 words :grin: ) compensates the salary of the girl for the time she is not in the bar but is getting paid for!

The 40% the girl gets of the bar fine is supposed to compensate the lady drinks she looses that night!

An average girl gets an 8000 baht salary and works 25 days per month, the compensation would be 320 baht the customer will pay 400 baht for the bar and 200 baht for her. A Stunner or a Showgirl gets a 15000 baht salary, works 25 days that would be 600 baht to be compensated for the bar and 400 baht for the lady! Usually neither the lady nor the bar makes any mentionable profit from that!

Maybe you have recognized by yourself that in bars where the drinks are way cheaper the bar fine is cheaper as well, that is because the lady drinks are cheaper to compensate!

:twocents:

Archived