Thai service quality?

Bkkbound04

I think you need to define same as ever, which in my opion means "bad."

Good point.

I still regard customer service in LOS to be of a far higher standard than anything I come across in UK but am seeing small examples of deteriorating standards. For example in a couple of 7-11s I went into recently, there was no 'sawadeeka'. Staying at Nova Hotel they just took the breakfast voucher of me and no attempt to say goodmorning until I pointed it out to them.

The final staw was in a restaraunt at CHattuchak at the weekned, just sitting quietly alone waiting for the menu when I heard a 'Hey you' from behind me, I turned around and across the room some fat thai girl shouted at me 'you order yet?'.

I have far more examples of good service and so long as the good outweigh the bad these experiences are just irritants.

JP

Could be that the Thai Service Quality is strongly related to certain industries, for example,

Hospitals, I have found outstanding service! Nurses about tripping over each other to assist you.

This is about 999% better then anything you might find in the USA, IMO.

Thai food industry, a mixed bag.

Bars/pubs, another mixed bag.

...and so on.

LOS is well-known for friendliness, smiling and hospitality...BUT

I did not know nor ever experienced high quality servive in any systematic way...

Maybe we have a different definition of what quality service is and how it is measured. We can start with that Thais don't measure nor be accountable for anything...

Do you wish to give me an example of when the last time a waiter introduced him/herself and told you she would be at your service this evening. Instead you get 10 different people bringing something to your table so one has any idea who is the lead or accountable person..All thai service is done this way and it is done intentionally..That way the blame cannot be an individual one and no one can be signaled out...collective approach to customer service...

CB

....Do you wish to give me an example of when the last time a waiter introduced him/herself and told you she would be at your service this evening.....

Actually I hate this, probably because I experienced it so much in Dubai, from Philipino staff with their irritating American accents. :mad: And they never leave you alone to enjoy your food, interupting you every few minutes to ask you if everything is to your liking! :cussing:

Thai nurses are beautiful and subservient to well-heeled patients in the expensive international hospitals that charge you 5 times the going rate for medical treatment.

But in the same hospitals you will not find a nurse as qualified as a RN who has been working on an ICU for 10 years (because they would not be pretty enough anymore).

And they are usually quite rude to other Thais, especially rude to Thais of lower status.

I've had minimal professional contact with Thai Nurses but the ones I have met I really don't rate their professional competances and skill base. They percievethem selves to be and admit they are just the maids of the doctors. The whole status and hierachy culture underminds them.

But the couple of nurses who I had unprofessional contact with were great fun!!

JP

Archived