Satellite Television???

itsmedave

While I am aware of the UBC cable available in Bangkok, I've been wondering if a more extensive satellite system is available (via a dish) where I could watch literally anything I wanted. (read: pick up American network channels)

While watching these season ending cliffhangers of my favorite shows here in the U.S. (not to mention Basketball playoffs and football right around the corner) and realizing that foreign tv is generally a year behind with American shows, it means I won't find out what happens for 2 years!!!

Forgive my shallowness, but this sort of thing may be what I miss most about America. (especially with a President who's trying so desperately to ruin us)

Plus, on a teachers salary I may be spending most of my nights in, so it would be nice to watch my fav's. Is this possible? If so, what are the costs?

Thanks!

I know what you mean about having hundreds of channels to choose from. In the states, I had access to about 250 stations with a dish and hoped to get more US programs over here.

I checked into getting a satellite dish that would allow more channels. I wanted to upgrade from what the condo where I rent offers (ie the "gold or silver package" which includes more sports and some premium channels). But That is at most, 40 or so channels. Have not been able to find anywhere that offers more channels but suspect there is a market for it. Perhaps someday...

If my building had cable, there would be no problem to update to another package but it doesn't have cable. I live on Suk. and the cable company apparently ran out of $$ before reaching my bldg. Anyway, I was told that the condo assn has a satellite that provides the basic package (incl BBC, CNN, ESPN HBO,Cinemax, etc) but if I wanted more I would have to purchase a satellite dish. I think they meant rent. The cost would have been about USD $400 which included the dish, the security deposit and running cable from the dish on roof top down to my apt about 20 floors below. Deicided in the end that it was not worth that much to me because not sure how much longer I will stay. Have friends in this condo bldg who did install the dish and are quite happy with it.

Thanks for the responses.

Wow, that bit about the pointing stuff at a satellite went WAY over my head. Like you, I may be evil, but you far outdistance me in the genius department. Looks like I'm stuck with UBC...2 years before I find out if Buffy's really dead, and what the President meant by that little smile.

• 10 years later...

Archived