A new PC

khunsanuk

Hi,

No real reason to post this, just playing with the new PC and checking to see if everything works.

Upgraded my Pentium 150 yesterday to an AMD Thunderbird 1300, 256Mb, 20Gb harddisk (7200rpm), GeForce2 MX 32Mb graphics, 17", ...

I am enjoying it smile.gif" border="0

Sanuk!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thunderbird 1300, oo,oo,oo!

256 megs Ram, oo,oo,oo!

I bet its the new DDR Ram too, oo,oo,oo!

I'm sorry I can't help myself.

New computer technology is to me what power tools are to Tim Allen on "Tool Time."

My latest toy, Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop w/ PIII 850 CPU, 128 megs Ram (although I'm going to change that soon), 15" Ultra TFT display, fixed DVD-Rom drive, accessory bay for extra battery or floppy drive, fire wire port, dual PC card ports, running W2K with Office 2000 pro.

Gonna build me one o' them AMDs as a gaming station when I get a round tooit.

Has anyone got any spare round tooits?

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

Let us me know if you see anything weird with your AMD -- I've never used a machine that had one.

db

In my very non techno geek experience...AmDS are far more stable than Pentiums, besides being much cheaper..

I am running a K6-2 550 that has gone well over 6 months without ever crashing.....

quote:

Originally posted by Wildalaska:

I am running a K6-2 550 that has gone well over 6 months without ever crashing.....

Reliable?

This is my first AMD CPU purchased in early 97 (K5 75)

I gave it to a friend to use in a DSL router in his apartment building in San Francisco.

eedjit@scratchy:~ > w

4:04pm up 6480:34, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.17, 0.11

USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT

tedbundy :0 console 3:27pm 0:23 0.00s ? -

eedjit ? 61.5.37.35 4:04pm ? 0.00s ? -

Thats 6480 hours which means it hasn't been rebooted since we started it up back in November. You could argue all day long about which is better intel or AMD. If the primary concern is reliability and price I would pick AMD any day of the week and use the money I saved to buy more RAM.

Reliability issues related to Pentium vs. AMD are often miss-attributed to hardware, when, as DB pointed out, they can be software related.

When I hear someone talking about a crash, my first question, as an engineer, is what was being processed when the crash occured.

The next question would be what changes have recently been made on the system, hardware and software related.

Yes, CPUs can cause problems, such as the overheating issue DB mentioned. Often times a hardware issue is related to the motherboard and chip set. This was the case when Intel first released their 800 series chipsets to be compatible with RD-Ram. Had nothing whatsoever to do with the CPU.

Most crashes I have seen in recent years were caused by O/S failure, faulty installation of new drivers, and software conflicts. They happen all the time. If you are running Win95, Win98, or Win ME at some point you will probably experience a crash. With Win ME at least you can turn the clock back and reset the registry without having to be an engineer.

AMD has a certain draw, with certain groups of people, much like Linux.

By the way I'll probably build an AMD machine for gaming as their graphics rendering tends to be better than current Pentium machines. For business I like Pentium.

DB....as you said...

"I've heard about their reliability and price, but I also heard that they had heat dissipation problems"

The only puter I ever burned up was a petium 3...

AMDs do run hot..I use 3 fans and waterfall, together with heat sink paste...I run at 30 degrees during gaming while background running SETI

Oh my god.

150 mhz to 1300 mhz? That's taking a few steps forward :p

Athlons heat dissapation problems? Not really, Intel has the same problem. The foundations for your hearing of this problem could deal with gamers (who are vocal) / overclockers. With Intel, the key thing to do is to have your heatsink contact the cache memory chips as well as the CPU. With the early Athlons, you literally had to break the case to overclock and add a custom heat sink (got to add a custom heat sink for Pentiums as well to get good overclocking). Because overclocking is easy, but breaking the case of your CPU makes some folks queasy, thus armchair overclockers/gamers would say the Athlon had heat disspation problems.

Been out of touch the past few months, so the new Athlon thunderbirds could be a bit different.

Athlons have no problems, unlike some of the earlier pentiums that couldn't divide properly, lol.

<<burp>>

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: gummigut ]

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: gummigut ]

Archived