A new PC

khunsanuk

That’s what’s so great about this board/community. Make a dumbarsed comment about your computer and instead of being (at best) ignored or (at worst) having it confirmed that you are indeed very stupid, the reaction is ‘tell us more about your problem so that we can see if we can help’. (And that seems to apply to all posters and all areas of the board, not just this one – with the one notable exception.)

Thanks gummigut, you’re a gentleman and a star.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

I've heard about their reliability and price, but I also heard that they had heat dissipation problems.

If you are running Windows ME you can set the PC to shut down if it detects your CPU is running at a too high temperature, eg if the fan stops turning.

quote:

Originally posted by coss:

Lads,

I have a 500 Mac Powerbook and it's running 9.1, I've just got OS X and will install this weekend.

No crashes, plenty fast, viva la Mac

OS 9.1

Do you ever get this error:

~the proper extension for the USB Keyboard couldn't be found, Consult the documentation for the device or software.. ~

OS X

M$ IE running on a Mac dextop on top of a BSD micro-kernel. Sound like a recipe for cognitive dissonance to me.

I was thinking about getting an i-book for my wife when she opens her law office this fall. But I have decided on a Kapok (makers of UMAX) notebook running Trustix Merdeka (Indonesian Linux distro). That would make it a

Kapok Merdeka laptop or in English the Fed-up with Freedom Latop. I 'll hold on to the i-book until my kids can change their own diapers wink.gif" border="0

Adik Gede,

"~the proper extension for the USB Keyboard couldn't be found, Consult the documentation for the device or software.. ~"

In the extensions folder inside the systems folder there should be a range of extensions amongst which are these named:

USB Device Extension

USB Printer Sharing Extension

USB Software Locator

USBAppleMonitorModule

USBHIDUniversalModule

USBNomadJukeboxDriver

USBRioDriver

USBSoundSpace2Driver

And also if you have a peripheral the peripheral will have it's own extension like:

Macally USB iStick driver

for a Joystick.

You don't need all these to run a keyboard but...

If your keyboard is a Mac Keyboard, then the appropriate driver should be installed with the Software installation. If the keyboard is 3rd party then it should have a driver supplied with it.

Is this for an ibook or other computer?

Hope this helps

quote:

Originally posted by coss:

Adik Gede,

"~the proper extension for the USB Keyboard couldn't be found, Consult the documentation for the device or software.. ~"

In the extensions folder inside the systems folder there should be a range of extensions amongst which are these named:

USB Device Extension

USB Printer Sharing Extension

USB Software Locator

USBAppleMonitorModule

USBHIDUniversalModule

USBNomadJukeboxDriver

USBRioDriver

USBSoundSpace2Driver

And also if you have a peripheral the peripheral will have it's own extension like:

Macally USB iStick driver

for a Joystick.

You don't need all these to run a keyboard but...

If your keyboard is a Mac Keyboard, then the appropriate driver should be installed with the Software installation. If the keyboard is 3rd party then it should have a driver supplied with it.

Is this for an ibook or other computer?

Hope this helps

The problem is on one of 20somthin iMacs about half of which have OS 9.1 .

The error seemed to be largely eronious as the keyboard and mouse worked in spite of the warning. Removing the extension manager prefernces and restarting took care of it.

I just goofed around with OS X on a cube @ Funan Center (SG) this week and it was pretty cherry. I opened a terminal ran top and proceeded to start every application I could drag the mouse to. The only thing that really slowed it down were dns look ups (it wasn't wired) and the rather long initialization of carbon libs when starting the first OS9 app. My own subjective impression is that BSD is a lot snappier than L*x. Although I am sure that having 900mb RAM helped a bit. I don't think I could part with my 3-button mouse just for prety-fide U*x (yet).

Originally posted by Brink15:

<<My latest toy, Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop w/ PIII 850 CPU, 128 megs Ram (although I'm going to change that soon), 15" Ultra TFT display, fixed DVD-Rom drive, accessory bay for extra battery or floppy drive, fire wire port, dual PC card ports, running W2K with Office 2000 pro.>>

Hi Brink,

I'm looking to buy a laptop too. I've always wanted a laptop and I also need a replacement for my aging, troublesome desktop.

In fact I did buy a Sony Vaio FX150K PIII 750 CPU 15", DVD with Windows 2000 Professional installed. It was a beautiful machine, but I returned it after five days for a full refund,(thanks to Fry's liberal 15 day money back guarantee) because I didn't like the operating system. It was definately geared for the business user and I am more of home user. Also I thought the speakers/sound system were kind of lame especially for watching a DVD.

Anyway I was wondering if the Dell speakers/sound system is any good?

Right now I'm thinking of buying a Hewlett- Packard because their speakers/sound are the best of any laptop I've heard.

quote:

OS X on a cube @ Funan Center (SG)

I got OSX running, install was seamless, works perfectly, only prob is when opening classic apps the classic (9.1) environment takes a little time to open.

Much better looking environment than any I've seen.

SanukDee,

Sorry to hear about the Sony. I would have thought most of their stuff would have better quality multimedia components.

My experience with laptops is that most of them can not remotely compete with desk tops when it comes to multimedia.

My Dell Gamer, Dimension XPS B733r, has a GeForce2 Pro w/ 66 megs of DDR Ram and a Sound Blaster Live sound card. I've got Altec surround sound speakers. The thing runs games amazingly well, but I will never get this kind of performance from todays laptops.

My Dell Inspiron 8000 has a very good graphics card ATI Mobility M4 w/ 32 megs RAM, Harman Kardon audio, and a 15" Ultra XGA display. They even make a mobile version of the GeForce now - NVidia GeForce2Go. But it is still not the same as a desk top for gaming.

I love my Dell, and from what I have seen, it is one of the best. I don't use it for gaming, well maybe a quick game of Freecell while a download or install completes.

If you are looking for an extremely dependable laptop with all the latest bells and whistles, plus the best tech support I have seen - although by no means perfect. go for Dell.

quote:

SanukDee,

If you are looking for an extremely dependable laptop with all the latest bells and whistles, plus the best tech support I have seen - although by no means perfect. go for Dell.

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the Dells. Up to now I haven't given them a second look because they seem more expensive then other notebooks. But they also are rated #1 often in many of the computer magazines, so there must be a reason. And after purchase service and good Tech support are almost priceless.

I did get my old Desktop going again so I can take my time shopping around.

sanukdee

quote:

256 megs of DDR Ram, oo,oo,oo!

earlier reports stated(PC Authority mag. OZ)that DDR only increased performance by a few %, is that still the case brink?

Archived