Office XP

Has anyone seen microsoft's Office XP at panthip yet? Has anyone tried it out? I don't know why they are releasing the office before the OS but I guess I don't know much about it. I have heard upgrading from Windows 98 or 2000 to XP will be like taking the jump from Windows 3.1 to 95, quite a big learning curve there. I've seen it for sale here in Japan but of course only the Japanese version. If anyone tries it out let me know what you think.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay guys, here's a confession: I work for Microsoft. We've been using Office XP for a couple months now, as well as Windows XP, which will be released this fall.

I love them both. Windows XP expecially will make doing things like burning CD's, sharing photos, organising files, very easy.

Office XP adds a ton of features that make collaborating on things much easier. Included in Office XP is a new version of Visio, Front Page, and Sharepoint services that makes creating web sites a cinch.

Of course, no software is perfect, but these have a ton of new features that are completely based on user feedback. Prior to upgrading to Windows XP, I was running Windows 2000, and even this beta version is rock solid stable. I haven't re-booted my machine once since I installed them!

For details on Office XP, including free CD's, demos, etc, you can go here:

Office XP web site

Have fun!

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: zwoel69 ]

hey zwoel,

You know we all talking about buying the boxed editions of XP. None of us would ever think of buying those cheap copied versions.

I know I wouldn't at least. crazy.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by zwoel69:

Okay guys, here's a confession: I work for Microsoft.

Have fun!

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: zwoel69 ]

Well, thanks for the promo. I'll be off to Pantip to get my 100B CD and crack (for the software that is) as soon as I'm back in town.

Cheers

I read about the user feedback somewhere on the web. Microsoft has a web page where everyone can tell which feature they'd like to see in the next version of Office.

The funny thing is that 80% of the requested features were already in.

My opinion of Office XP. It looks very good. I don't know about the features. Hell, even Office 97 has everything I need.

I know, I know. You can all by them for 100B or so. Oh well. They way I figure it if we can't figure out a way to stop that, then we deserve what we get.

Windows XP, however, will be a different kettle of fish. It knows when it's been copied.

Hell, I get everything for about 90% off retail cost with my employee discount, and I'm happy with that!

quote:

Originally posted by zwoel69:

I know, I know. You can all by them for 100B or so. Oh well. They way I figure it if we can't figure out a way to stop that, then we deserve what we get.

Microsoft deserves what it gets in SE Asia (and elsewhere) because of rediculous pricing policies that place its software totally out of reach for legitimate purchase by even those Thais who can afford to buy computers at home or in the workplace. The fact of the matter is that in these places, Microsoft really isn't all that concerned about a retail end-user market and probably couldn't provide adequate support were one to suddenly develop.

And don't even get me started about Microsoft Thailand.

Credibility? OK, here's my confession: I retired last August after 11 years at Microsoft. zwoel69: if you work in anything having to do with Windows XP and have been there longer than a couple of years, you'd probably know me, or my name.

A stroll through Pantip fills me with conflict. On the one hand, I really believe what I wrote in the first 2 paragraphs above. On the other, it hurts me to see product I slaved over for over a decade being sold for a sum of money that degrades it to sub-commodity level. 10 years of my blood sweat and tears being traded for 100 baht.

I do not intend to make this into a debate about piracy, etc. Realistically no one's family at Microsoft is in danger of starving because of Pantip's existence. But I do feel sorry for the smaller companies for whom having their product stolen is more significant.

Archived