Need Help With Computer

New Petchburi Pete

I will be arriving in BKK late on August 23.

If anyone can help me with my laptop, please contact me. I will need help in setting up an internet account.

Photography is my thing. I enjoy using computers; but, I am relatively uneducated as to transfering photos from a digital camera. I need to be able to transmit photos

over the internet. I would be more than happy to treat anyone who can help me out to a few drinks, or dinner, or even a night out.

You should be able to get prepaid internet accounts for LoxInfo at Panthip. I'm told they're the best provider for dial up. Some hotels (e.g., Grand and Royal President) offer IDSL hook-ups that are ideal. They'll even rent you the LAN card if your portable is not equipped with Ethernet. The high speed access is good.

As far as PC set up is concerned, I've been down the road of volunteering services such as this before and I'll tell you, it's unlikely I'll do it again. Not that I'm selfish mind you, I enjoy helping my fellow man as much as the next guy. The problem is that things like this always require installing software or drivers of one sort or another. And when you do that, it changes your PC configuration in sometimes unpredictable ways causing all kinds of problems (sometimes). And when problems occur, who do you think they call in the middle of the night?

Sorry to be such a downer, but services like this routinely cost $25 / hour and up in the US. And I wouldn't do it for less.

My advice for your camera though is to get one with a USB interface. Install the driver and hook up the camera. Then the camera's memory should be accessible similar to a disk drive using file manager.

It is quite easy to do. Unlike the guy that wonts to charge you 25$ for the service. I will give you some free and easy advice.

There are a few ISP which come with a CD. Ex. SAMART etc. They are as simple as putting in the CD and pressing yes to everything.

If you have any questions when you are tying it. go to an internet cafe and e-mail me on the board and leave your return e-mail and I can see if I can answer your questions.

Take care

WYD

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

It is quite easy to do. Unlike the guy that wants to charge you 25$ for the service. I will give you some free and easy advice.

There are a few ISP which come with a CD. Ex. SAMART etc. They are as simple as putting in the CD and pressing yes to everything.

If you have any questions when you are tying it. go to an internet cafe and e-mail me on the board and leave your return e-mail and I can see if I can answer your questions.

I am online 2x a day and should be able to get back to you with some free advice

Take care

WYD

Hi!

Downloading pictures over a 56k modem line will take ages if they are of reasonably high resolution.

If I were you I'd consider bringning a CD-burner. Also internet Cafe's in Pattaya provide the service of burning pictures to CD's. I dont know this for a fact but I suspect that this service would be avalable in BKK as well as many other tourist areas.

regards

ALHOLK

Hey, I ain't got a job yet, and I'm looking for more ways to procrastinate so give me a call (sent you a private)!

lol.

As stated before setting up an internet account is a breeze.

Transferring photos from your camera to your computer should be pretty simple. Bring everything you got with the camera if you haven't figured it out already yourself.

The hardest part is cutting down your pictures so it doesn't take forever to send over the internet. Can show you how to do that if you want as well but I use Photoshop (not the most user friendly package out there, heh).

Truly though, the easiest solution is probably finding someplace in BKK that will burn your pics right onto a CD as suggested by ALHOLK. I understand they do that on the top floor of Panthip and probably at Cafe's as well (as mentioned by ALHOLK). I'll ask if I pass by one.

<<burp>>

Thank you 'Gummigut" and all who are willing to help me. My Dell has a CD-burner drive ...

but I need some basic instruction as to how to do this. Photography has always been my thing (mostly 35mm SLR); but, I need to go digital to satisfy my employer. But, I would still like to pick up a scanner and do some

35mm also (manual ... more creative) so I need all the help I can get. I leave for LOS on wednesday ... can't wait to reunite with my little Thai wife! ... By the way she has lots of friends who are not bargirls!!!

My apartment is in an old Chinese Hotel (Union Tower); so, instead of waiting for a land line, I may move or look for a deal with

an internet cafe, or perhaps a member of the board who is willing to help me out. A friend

knows the owner of The Silver Dollar in Washington Square, and he can help me out. Also, my employer may be able to work out a deal for me at the Grand President which has

DSL ... but, I am willing to consider all options. wink.gif" border="0

• 1 month later...

I'm confused by some of the advice given here.

Alholk,

How does burning photographs onto a CD help to transmit them over the internet?

Whosyourdaddy,

The internet service providers for which you just buy a CD are certainly quick and easy but they don't provide you with an internet account, as far as I can tell. If you sign up with Loxinfo or Samart on a monthly basis you get this. This is important if you want to send large files, as my hotmail account only allows me to send attachments of 1MB. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I will be happy to be proved wrong as I would like to send more and larger photographs back home without having to sign up to a regular service. (Buying Samart Max (100 hours) is the cheapest way to go that I have found.)

New Petchaburi Pete,

Didn't you get some software with your digital camera? I got Adobe Photodeluxe with my Fuji MX-1500. It wasn't too difficult to set up and use.

Heh, I'm confused about you resurrecting a 1+ month dead topic :p

Burning to CD is a great way of sending a large amount of data via regular or express mail. Not sure anyone was talking about this working with the Internet.

If you want to pass higher than 1 meg files back and forth from home than I advise you to sign-up for those free picture or file archiving places where you get 20 or 50mb's of storage space. Then share the key to access that space. I think hotdrive is one such site but I'm not sure.

<<burp>>

Archived