Pantnip DVD-VCD Players?

Are multi-region codefree DVD-VCD players available? On Ebay they are available but maybe can get a better deal in Thailand. These machines can play to either PAL or NTSC tv sets whether software is PAL or NTSC format. Prices?

I agree with Lamock.

Quality electrical goods are cheaper in the US than here. Also you will have fewer warranty problems.

Sometimes You can pick up cheap bargains but reliability is an issue.

I have a couple of cheap vcd mp3 players for playing the software I pick up at Panthip Plaza. I have had them replaced once or twice because of malfunctions. I am here and therfore it is easier to do If you are at the other end of the world the cheap bargain becomes very inexpensive or it becomes a disposable item

Last year I joined the rental club at DVD Station, opposite Sukhumvit Soi 19. That dude sells 'premodified' Pioneer players (by which I mean, he's got them in his shop ready to go, no need to send them out to be modified). Mine's a 525, I think now it's the 535? I paid 12500 baht at the time. I think current prices are similar and I think he's got a few other models to choose from as well. Frankly to this day I have no idea whether this is a good price or not. I was more interested in getting a multi-region player with component video out RIGHT THIS MINUTE, than in saving a hundred bucks (or whatever).

My player has a switch on the back for auto/pal/ntsc. The ntsc and pal positions cause the corresponding signal to be output, even if the player has to convert (ie, ntsc disc gets converted to pal if the switch is set to pal). Unclear if this can convert ntsc to pal50 or if ntsc will come out as pal60. Auto (I believe) passes through whatever is on the disk -- ie, pal disc = pal output, ntsc disc = ntsc output.

I have yet to encounter a disc from region 1 or 3 that could not be played (the player is "natively" region 3). Apparently this line of Pioneer players is notoriously easy to hack (as opposed to, say, Sony players).

PS the player has had warranty service in Thailand and the region hack was not disturbed. I'm quite sure Pioneer quietly condones all of this modifying going on. In this part of the world: no multi-region = no sale.

a few cheap priced dvd players are the samsung 611 (saw it for 10,000 bhat at central chidlom), but this one is notorious for skipping disks, and also the chinese Nintaus is available for 10,000 bhat (central Chidlom). Than there's a Philips available for 15,000 Bhat. All can play MP3 cd's as well.

I for one decided to buy one back in the Netherlands. Just as cheap and it comes with guarantee and service!

Check out the following site, it has user comments on most popular dvd players, as well as hacks to turn them into an allzone player:

www.vcdhelp.com

Cheers,

SOONGMAK

I was interested in playing VCDs so I bought a VCD/MP3/DVCD player for 2,750 in Panthip last week (SKG - can't recall which model); back in the UK the quality is the same on my UK PAL TV as I saw demonstrated in BKK, ie worse than TV/DVD/SP video, but not by much. Obviously it doesn't play DVDs but at present I'm happy enough to stick to video for main-line films!

Steve.

Archived