Tech support

Brink15

DB,

I'm in serious trouble here.

My cursor is in the center of my screen and I need to move it to the right.

The problem is that my mouse is all the way to the right of my mouse pad and I can't move it any further without going off the pad.

Do I need to go out and buy a larger mouse pad so that I can move the cursor?

I'll sit here, in front of my display, waiting for your reply.

The above reminded me of a help line story I saw before (might have been on the old board)

This is allegedly a true story from the Word Perfect help line.

Needless to say, the story is that the help desk employee was fired;

however, it is reported that the person is currently suing the Word Perfect organization for "termination without cause".

This is from the taped conversation leading up to dismissal:

"Word Perfect Technical Desk, may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with Word Perfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in Word Perfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type!"

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV

"Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

".......Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

"Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle.-- it's because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes -- the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because there's a power cut."

"A power... A power cut? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

"Really? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

I think I read about this same sort of problem is a Dilbert cartoon. The solution, as suggested by Dilbert himself, is to move your desk 3 inches to the right.

But speaking seriously, I have been doing PC/network tech support for several years. Usually, these stories are not the result of the stupidity of the user, but rather their unfamiliarity with computers, combined with an inflexible attitude. Most of the older users I support did not grow up with computers, and are set in their pre-computer ways of doing things.

I also think they are a bit lazy; they need to take the time to 'play around' with a computer, get familiar with the machine, maybe take a course in comptuer basics. But they have the mind-set that this is low level technical work.

JG

quote:

Originally posted by Brink15:

DB,

I'm in serious trouble here.

My cursor is in the center of my screen and I need to move it to the right.

The problem is that my mouse is all the way to the right of my mouse pad and I can't move it any further without going off the pad.

Do I need to go out and buy a larger mouse pad so that I can move the cursor?

I'll sit here, in front of my display, waiting for your reply.

Sounds like a problem with the keyboard interface. Try moving your monitor to the left wink.gif" border="0

Damn !! I'm not a techie, but all you have to do is pick up your mouse and carefully move the desk until the mouse is in the center of the pad.

Any other problems, let me know

Brink,

Again, an easy problem to solve! Don't fool around with your hard drive. They are complicated things best left to the experts. I saw a really good buy at Office depot. You can buy 100 floppy disks for $15.99. You can save all your budget information including your laundry lists for the next 5 years. If you get tired of your old computer, you will still have all your valuable records.

I'm pleased to be able to offer you this advice. Don't worry, be happy.

Gary

PS - If you want, I'll try to research how you can transfer information from your hard drive to the floppy disks. I KNOW that can be done. Let me know.

Archived