Burning a VCD from your jpg collection

Palatkik

Burning a VCD from your jpg collection

I’m sick of printing out all the pix I take for the gf family and was thinking of burning a VCD out of all the jpg's for them to watch on their TV and VCD player. (They don’t have a PC). I’m sure they will enjoy watching their pictures on their own TV.

I have tried Nero 5.5, which offers this feature and used a HP 8200 series external burner with a CD-RW disc. Nero 5.5 says everything worked but when I tried the CD in a VCD player and on PC VCD emulator software I get error message.

Anyone know the way to go about this please and got it to work?

Cheers,

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Palatkik ]

I may be missing something, but I believe that the CD-RW discs can only be read in a CD-RW capable device. If you want a portable disc, you should use a standard CD-R disc, not the CD-RW.

quote:

Originally posted by Bald Eagle:

I may be missing something, but I believe that the CD-RW discs can only be read in a CD-RW capable device. If you want a portable disc, you should use a standard CD-R disc, not the CD-RW.

Yes maybe I'll try CD-R only. However my PC CD player (not the burner) reads the CD-RW disc ok but when trying to play the Nero 5.5 produced VCD format Windows Media player gives error message format not supported.

I was just wondering if anyone has had success with making VCD's out of jpg's? I've been trying on my own without success so far.

Cheers,

Maybe I am missing something? VCD with JPG? Have you read somewhere that it's possible? From what I understand, VCD player only understands MPEG 1 (I could be wrong). There are VCD/DVD players that understand MP3, for example, but it's not common. Let me know if you managed to get it to work.

Gilbert

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

If this does work, I think that the software would take the original .jpg, convert it to a .bmp and insert it into the MPEG stream as a still frame. ......but like a slide-show of sorts.

db [no sig today]

Correct about the slide show. Some programs can make mpgs out of a jpg folder. Simplest I've seen is a program called Nero now in ver 5.5. You just select and drag drop your jpg images into a VCD folder and press go! It then converts all the images into DAT files and creates and burns a CD at the same time with the same folder structure you might see if you put a VCD in a PC. At least that what it says it does. I'm am still trying to find time to get it to work!

Cheers,

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Palatkik ]

Keep us updated...

Does Nero let you adjust the amount of time that each photo is displayed before scrolling? Can you add a soundtrack (commentary, for example)?

Sounds like a cool idea, though indexing might be a problem. I don't know what is the limit as far as chapter assignments on a VCD.

Cheers!

Archived