Newbie Q- NWA Biz Class Laptop Power

qxguy

You need to ask the airline if they have it on their aircraft.

There are 2 systems available for laptop power at the moment. 12VDC and 115VAC. There is a good possibility that the airline will have the necessary adaptor. You can buy the adaptors, I can't remember the prices but if you put "Empower" in your search window you should find some details.

As stated earlier, check with the airline, if they do have them confirm it is all aircraft and ask do they have adaptors avilable on board, if not which version are they using and the recommended adaptor

Heres one adaptor I found on a quick search

http://www.magellans.com/cgi-bin/mitc/Electrical_Adaptors___AccessoriesEA270

quote:

Originally posted by qxguy:

Tickets arrived yesterday for NWA LAX-BKK business class. Does business class seats have laptop power outlets at the seats like United does? Any special connectors needed?

Thanks

qxguy

Note carefully: United may say they have it, but on their 777s it's been turned off. For over a year now, they have been saying it's due to some design flaw that will be fixed soon.

BTW American Airlines flies 777s to Tokyo (a likely stopover point en route to BKK for us Americans) -- with a laptop power at every F and C seat and many in coach as well.

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

You need to ask the airline if they have it on their aircraft.

There are 2 systems available for laptop power at the moment. 12VDC and 115VAC. There is a good possibility that the airline will have the necessary adaptor. You can buy the adaptors, I can't remember the prices but if you put "Empower" in your search window you should find some details.

As stated earlier, check with the airline, if they do have them confirm it is all aircraft and ask do they have adaptors avilable on board, if not which version are they using and the recommended adaptor

Heres one adaptor I found on a quick search

You mean some airlines provide a full 115V AC power outlet at each seat? I find this very surprising to say the least.

In any case the two I have encountered are Enpower (i.e., United) -- which uses a proprietary connector; and a standard cigaratte-lighter (i.e., American).

Most adapters sold for airplanes can work with both -- the cable has an Empower connector, and then an Empower-to-cigaratte-lighter adapter is fitted onto that.

The reigning champion for these adapters is http://www.extendmicro.com.

Archived