Obtaining network certification credit in Thailand

Hi all,

What are the possibilities of taking networking certification courses in Bangkok.

I figure the bootlegged training material at Pantip would be a fraction of the cost it would be here. If there are classroom training courses in Bangkok I'm assuming they would be in english and fairly decent quality? If there are no good training courses I could do it remotely through the internet I suppose. Any one have any personal experience/insights? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

What certifications are you looking for MCSE, CCNE, CNA, etc?

Depending on your current experience with IT, you very well may be able to buy the books and take the exams.

There are a number of things you need to consider. Where are you going to work, Thailand, Europe, US, etc.? How much IT experience do you currently have? Do you have access to systems in the O/S you'll be studying?

Finding test centers should not be an issue. The easiest way is to go to the manufacturer's website for the software in which you are looking to be certified. You will be able to find links to the agencies they use for testing. Also on the sites you can find links for companies that offer authorized training.

Right now I'm studying for my CCNA certification. If I was in Thailand, and wanted to take a class, I would go to Cisco's site and do a search under cerifications.

I have an Engineering degree with some indirect IT experience. I am not planning to actually work in IT in Thailand unless I can make a foreign salary which is not likely.

I was thinking of sticking with non-vendor specific training such as Network+ certification. If I was to take vendor specific training it would be MCSE since most of my experience involves the Microsoft OSes. Cisco CCNE would be a close second choice.

Specifically, I want to take my training in Thailand. I figure if I have the option of either sitting in front of a computer in Thailand or sitting in front of a computer in the States I'll take the former. I just don't know how good of an option it is.

Interactive classroom training is better because they have the equipment all set up to mess around with and it's easier to stay motivated when your paying for classroom training. I have no doubt that if courses exists in Bangkok they would be way cheaper than in the states.

Basically looking for some good excuses to spend some time in Thailand and re-train myself.

Alfalfa,

Try this link for CompTIA, the organization that created the Network + certification:

CompTIA Network +

If you contact them, they should be able to give you test sites in Thailand.

I highly recommend the Sybex series of certification manuals.

How serious are you about working as a Systems Engineer?

In which field of engineering do you hold your degree?

I'm an Electrical Engineer. I know a lot of the basic stuff and have Microsoft certified professional status although it may be a bit out of date by now.

I'm very serious about IT. I enjoy it and am competent at it. The demand is high which has many advantages.

I remember seeing various IT training books in Pantip but never looked at the prices. Anyone know if they are original copies with full blown retail pricing or cheap knock offs?

Alfalfa,

Your BS/EE is going to be very useful to you in combination with some certifications. It puts you ahead of many people you will be competing with for positions.

Yes, I did say competing.

At least as far as the US is concerned, it is no longer the case that there are hundreds of employers waiting with baited breath for newly certified Systems Engineers.

The collapse of the .COM industry released tens of thousands of experienced people into the job market. This combined with the overall economic downturn has made it much more dificult to find a straight networking job.

I would highly recommend that you learn at least a little about programming. XML would be a great language as much of the future internet and most of Microsofts new operating systems (the new XP profesional included) rely heavily of XML.

Many of the jobs listed on US job sites are requiring certification + programming skills.

Again I don't know where you intend to work, but you may want to investigate this. And remember all these folks talking up networking certifications, usually have a vested interest, i.e. they make their money teaching.

quote:

Originally posted by Alfalfa:

Hi all,

What are the possibilities of taking networking certification courses in Bangkok.

I figure the bootlegged training material at Pantip would be a fraction of the cost it would be here. If there are classroom training courses in Bangkok I'm assuming they would be in english and fairly decent quality? If there are no good training courses I could do it remotely through the internet I suppose. Any one have any personal experience/insights? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Depending on the certificate you may be able to do a great deal of self study for the cost of a book. A trip to a good bookstore could be usefull. If you want classroom instruction in a non-english speaking country you had better see if the instructors can speak English in a manner that you find understandable. Exams themselves can be taken at Virtual University , but there probably isn't any cost advantage.

YAHOO

Archived