What Ever Happended to Concerts?

was_usvirgin

Went to see The Who at the Long Beach Arena tonight.

Lines (queues) for beers or cocktails were 45 minutes long, before The Who came on stage. Tried to get one midway through the concert and the vendors were already closed, so we left early.

It was just lame, not necessarily The Who but the venue. It was like a police state in there.

The only guy I saw all night that burned one was my buddy, at some kind of patio area. Some older guy came up to us and said, "Where do you think you are, at a Who concert?"

I never thought I'd walk out on a band as good as The Who, but I did tonight - I'm sure we missed some good old stuff once they got finished with their acoustics and new stuff.

No drinking, no smoking, no nothing, and LB cops all over the place! Who fan parents with their children (no real problems with me there).

But back in the day, the LB Arena was a notoriously rowdy, and very smokey place.

Are things just as fucked up in the UK?

I'll never see a concert again, if this is what concerts are like.

Its all about sponsors and that means you can only buy the drinks by the sponsors at high prices. Then you can t takle drinks into certain areas. There are places in the Uk like this. Pretty shit. Commercial bollocks.

However there are still some good venues in the UK. Ulster Hall in belfast, Barrowlands in Glasgow, Brixton in London and many others I m sure.

Saw Primal Cream in Barrowlands in Glasgow...great gig, plastic beer cups, plenty of dope and drugs if anyone wanted and a rowdy crowd and great atmosphere and music...

I went to GLastonbury a few times at the end of the ninities and early 2000's. Thats a festival. But even its changed now. Its all ticket. All down to the Police State again.

The organiser Michael Eavis didnt have a problem and it wasnt about money for him, but unless he got his act together he would nt even get a license.

I ll give you an example. I never bought a ticket for Glastonbury. Just walked in holes in the fence etc. There were 80 000tickets sold a year, but 250 000 people there,ie, 2thirds got in without tickets.

The other thing that made it stand out was that you could take in as much of your own alcohol as you coukld carry. Other festivals only allowed you to take your booze into the camping area but not into the concert area so as not to take business from the sponsors. Not at Glastonbury, the camping area and concert was all one, you could drink anywhere your own drink. We carted crate upon crate of beer.

I remember one saturday sitting on the grass at one of the stages with mates drinking wine,beer and smoking away while wtaching Tony Bennet, Cypriss Hill, Happy Mondays. Great fun. It wasnt really about the bands it was the atmosphere.

One year I went ended up only seeing 1band in days.

But now its changed, but its still good, but ticket only.

Oh halycon days

I ll give you an example. I never bought a ticket for Glastonbury. Just walked in holes in the fence etc. There were 80 000tickets sold a year, but 250 000 people there,ie, 2thirds got in without tickets.

I have to admit, we didn't pay either. A friend who was running security ushered us in via backstage. That meant we didn't have any tickets or credentials and it limited our mobility. But it also meant we could have brought in our own bottles - a little vodka would have gone nice with some lemonade, which was all they were selling on the floor - poor planning on our part.

Archived