Football Factory

Old Hippie

I had a 3 or 4 seasons of regular involvement in that aspect of things in my younger years however after a while thought better of it and found new directions, and a lot of my friends from those days come from that mould and literature and acedmic thesis regarding the phenomenon got passed around.

There were a lot of thesis and conjecture put forward by journo's, coppers, academics etc etc some of which hold more water than others although the general consensus is that blokes of certain age groups like fighting in groups.

This can be traced back through history and across continents and despite it taking place in different forums it remains constant.

The rights and wrongs of it are left open to debate and what the authorities do in response is often a moot point but human physiology creates agressive urges in young guys and although you can move it from one field of engagemnt to another it is likely to continue well into the future, just as sex, war, wanking and drinking will take up the time of certain elements in society.

Cheers

although the general consensus is that blokes of certain age groups like fighting in groups.

Certain blokes of certain age groups like fighting. Not all young lads. Some of us wanted to grow up to be Billy Elliott. Took a wrong turning along the way and got into beer and now me tutu won't fit. :(

Thing is, there's next to nothing in the way of violence that takes place in or around the grounds, so the incidence of innocent spectators getting caught up in violence is very rare now. Most inter-club battles take place well away from CCTV cameras and are arranged via mobiles or the internet so that those with an interest in 'defending the honour of their club', or just fighting, have an outlet for it. It's all quite civilised really, with rules regarding weaponry and suchlike agreed before the battle.

There was a classic between Sunderland and Newcastle thugs a few years ago which was arranged to take place on the North of the Tyne, with the away fans crossing over on the ferry to battle it out on the quayside. I seem to recall stories of the real diehards continuing their battle on the ferry itself so that they couldn't be interrupted by the police who had to wait for them at the ferry landing:

"police waiting at South Shields to arrest them described the battered thugs as "looking like the survivors of Rorke's Drift" - but none of them complained."

About 10 years back (or more) Ajax and Feyenoord fans had a meet like that in a field next to a highway, left one Ajax fan dead.

Well, obviously there is always a risk .....

Statistically, though, I would reckon that there are a lot less deaths/serious injuries from organised 'football violence' than there are on an average Friday night's drinking in the UK.

My view is let those who want to slug it out get on with it and leave the rest of us to enjoy the football.

Archived