The best restaurant in Bangkok is??

Thanks Stick, how's the pricing at Angelinis? Everywhere really good, seems to be really expensive!!! Not wishing to moan, but when i pay for a meal in Thailand that's equivalent in pricing to a meal in the UK, i get a bit peeved...i've eaten at some crazily priced venues in the UK and elsewhere, i just didn't expect to be ripped off here to quite the same extent!

Ok, i confess...i'm moaning.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For thai food, there is a tradeoff between taste and atmosphere. In my experience you could graph a line it is so consistent. The nicer the restaurant, the more bland and less authentic the food. On the other side of the coin some of the very best Thai food you can find is right along the streets sitting on plastic stools at a card table or cuisine bought from markets and eaten on the floor in homes.

However, foreigners may prefer the taste of food at more expensive places because it is the middle ground between what you find at Thai restaurants in foreign countries (too bland and hybridized) and the really authentic stuff at cheaper places (strong flavors and less familiar tastes).

Sudas on under ASoke BTS and down a little soi on the even number sides is great. Plastic tables/chairs(well plastic chairs) cheap big bottles of beer and great thai food. Theres another place down by Ekkamai soi on the left. Very warm inside but do a really good YAm Pla Dook Foo.

>you are right for Thai food! there are also not many Thai restuarants mentioned

Hmm. Forgot one of my real favourites: Le Dalat for Vietnamese food. Very, very nice food and a nice atmosphere for really remarkably good prices. Make sure you get the "River fish" (I think thats the one, its a restaurant speciality) and some of the starters - the beef in betel leaf (?? would need to see the menu) is simply amazing, as are some of the spring roll (the Hue flute comes to mind).

Just make sure you get the right one, there are two on opposite sides of the road (one Dalat, and one Dalat Indochine IIRC). You want the one in the old style house.

Never had someone dissapointed there..

-j-

Thanks Stick, how's the pricing at Angelinis? Everywhere really good, seems to be really expensive!!! Not wishing to moan, but when i pay for a meal in Thailand that's equivalent in pricing to a meal in the UK, i get a bit peeved...i've eaten at some crazily priced venues in the UK and elsewhere, i just didn't expect to be ripped off here to quite the same extent!

Ok, i confess...i'm moaning.

You are not paying for the food BUT for the ambiance/view. :tophat: For the same price you can take your TG to Ko Samet for a few days. Which would your lady prefer? :stirthepo

Agree...... Suda's is an old favourite....and great thai food....

But you could hardly list it in the "Best Restaurants of Bkk"

Yeah,LOL, I think if I take a special lady to the polluted street side at Sudas for a special date I would get a kick in the stones...I personally like places with a great skyline view...might not be the best food but an all round experience. I also like the places on the river.

Just make sure you get the right one, there are two on opposite sides of the road (one Dalat, and one Dalat Indochine IIRC). You want the one in the old style house.

yes both are in Suk Soi 23, Dalat Indochine in the old style house is the first on the right beside Giusto (italian restaurant) and thoe other is further back in the Soi

Archived