The best restaurant in Bangkok is??

Read about Vertigo et al. and other than making me hungry, i am wondering, in the opinion of the members of the board, what's the best culinary experience to be had in Bangkok? Money not a problem, although i'd like to avoid begging in the street after i've paid...however, i'm fast approaching a significant anniversary with my better half...and i want to take her somewhere special (and preferably romantic) for dinner...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Food styles not a problem, doesn't need to be Thai only, european food also greatly welcomed. A romantic venue, with great ambience, great food, good service and a nice view too, if possible...wine and champagne will definately be required and drunk!

Cheers!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sirocco seems to be great for an alround experience although its very expensive. Your talking 4000baht per head before you ve even had a few drinks.

Rim nam restaurant at the Oriental is really excellent Thai restaurant, on the river.

i think their is a new restaurant high up at one of the high end hotels on the river. I saw the views. Might be the Penuisla (spelling?)

Good luck anyway and Bon appetit...

JS, are you thinking of the Millennium Hilton's* 360 jazz bar? The view is awesome, but they do not serve food AFAIK. But Flow and Prime in the Hilton are most excellent.

I won't pick "the best" because that's too subjective. But here's a few more contenders: Lord Jim's and (the freshly remodeled) China House at the Oriental; Benjarong at the Dusit; Mahanaga on Suk Soi 29; Koi on Suk soi 20; Rang Mahal in the Rembrandt; L'Opera on Suk soi 39; Phillipe's on Suk soi 39. That covers just about all flavours.

Cheers,

SD

* - If you recall, that was gonna be the Sofitel, but work stopped in 1997 to begin again a couple of years ago when the Hilton bought the "ghost" building

Zombieman ,

celebrating great events at great places does not necessarily guarantee great success . Rather the opposite . The formula is the vibration between staff and guest which normally can be enjoyed only after a couple of visits . I could say something but I don't , unless being asked .

Just an offer .

BuBi

Although with " wine " and " champagne " won't make it a cheap night out . Mrs Zombie is Thai citizen I guess ?

Mr. SuaDum ,

here my latest findings on 2 of the establishments :

The Lord Jim's is probably one the best seafood places worldwide , although the chef is a 27 year old German who other than myself knows how to prepare fish . The food is absolutely great but the music disturbing . Dinner fo 2 , wine by the glass easily heading for 10/12.000 .

The (new ) China House is as much of a fridge as the previous one . The food is perfect but the place is not enjoyable .

BuBi

Herr BuBi, China House is a bit darker than before, but I did not mind it. Hard to impress Chinese female companion was happy there as well. Regardless, as you noted, the food and service make up for any decor faux pas.

I had not noticed Lord Jim's muzak...

Respekt,

SD

Zombie,

Agree with B_B's take on Lord Jim's...food is Great.

If you want a view, I personally like a window table at Mezzaluna....fabulous when there is a fireworks display on the river....prefer the comfort of indoors to outside.....and of course you can always enjoy a glass of Champagne outside at the Champagne Bar pre Dinner.

Service has been excellent when I have been there and I believe it has been rated in the top 80 Restaurants in the World.

Depending on your tastes in wines, suggest your allow around 15k for 2

If a view is not a top priority, I also like SD's

suggestion of Mahagana (Thai Fusion) Suk Soi 29

beautiful old house, with a very tranquil outdoor Garden setting (as well as indoors)

Considerably easier on the pocket (Champagne by the glass 550Bt and Very drinkable Aussie Reds for 4k.

"The works" here would set you back less than 10k for 2

Hope you have a most enjoyable "significant occasion"

Cheers DS

Archived