Whats open during Khao Phansa?

Soi Cowboy will be closed on Thursday 5th and Friday 6th from what I understand.

I would say that it is almost certain that Patpong (or at least part of it) will be open, and Nana will be open if only serving non alcoholic drinks.

Cheers

farangman

Thanks for the post. Why do you say "that it is almost certain that Patpong (or at least part of it) will be open"? I am not disagreeing (actually, I am hoping you are right), but I am wondering why you are so certain about Patpong? Oh, and what parts will be open??

This will influence tomorrow evening's plans.

quote:

Why do you say "that it is almost certain that Patpong (or at least part of it) will be open"? I am not disagreeing (actually, I am hoping you are right), but I am wondering why you are so certain about Patpong? Oh, and what parts will be open??

It's just that I have never yet failed to find a bar open and serving alcohol in Patpong on a holiday.

This is mainly due as was previously posted, to the tourists etc in the area.

Even during the elections and the Kings Birthday etc where an alcohol ban was strictly observed in Nana and Cowboy, Patpong was serving anything you wanted albeit in plastic glasses!

Cheers

Farangman

Sweet Mouse, Khao Phansa is the beginning of the Buddhist rains retreat, when the monks do not go out from the temple on their morning rounds to offer people the opportunity to give them food (about the only way women can make merit). Instead, the people have to go to the temple to bring the monks food offerings. Lots of cool parades, as various groups of Thais (especially school children) take the Phansa candle to a temple. You'll hear drums, traditional instruments etc and see everyone from small kids to grannies dancing in procession before the candle. The candle is suppose to be large enough to remain burning during the entire 3 months of Phansa. Many young Thai men will ordain at this time, intending to spend the three months as a novice monk. It's a colourful time of the year.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

quote:

Originally posted by farangman:

It's just that I have never yet failed to find a bar open and serving alcohol in Patpong on a holiday.

This is mainly due as was previously posted, to the tourists etc in the area.

Even during the elections and the Kings Birthday etc where an alcohol ban was strictly observed in Nana and Cowboy, Patpong was serving anything you wanted albeit in plastic glasses!

Cheers

Farangman

And you were right. Patpong was open last night (Thursday.)

Just for the record, Pattaya was respectfully subdued on Thursday. SOME of the beer and gogo bars (especially the ones right on Beach and Second Roads) were closed, along with many of the big soapy massage places. HOWEVER, there were still lots of beer bars that dimmed their lights and served beer in coffee cups. Overall, anybody looking for MAJOR selection and action was unhindered on Thursday. Friday was even better--almost 100% of normal.

Side Note: There was a hell of a lot of traffic. Many Thais came into Pattaya from BKK for the four day weekend. cool.gif" border="0

Archived