Mosquitos In Cambo

Steve

I was there for the first time a year ago and while I was there my legs were eaten by the little critters. I had visited Thailand numerous times prior and never had the same problem. I was in PP. I wore shorts and that may be the reason but I wondered why I could wear shorts in Pattaya and not have to worry about mosquito bites but I do in PP?

I assume I'll just have to wear long pants in PP or is that futile?

What's wrong with you man. You've been in SEA for so long you know what the deal is. Just use DEET repelel invenented for the Service man during the Vietnam War me thinks. I've been eaten alive so many times I carry a bottle with me where ever I go in SEA. That shit they sell in Thailand you know with lemon and orange frangrance don't work as well for me though. Be careful....malariya!!! chok dii eee

Had a sleepless night in Trat, Thai border, which was caused by bed bugs. However once over the border in Koh Kong noticed a proliferation of mossies. On way to Sihanoukville passed a Malaria eradication vehicle so clearly malaria is a problem. I haven't bothered with anti malaria medication for years and haven't used Deet for a while. Here though I'm regretting the first and will be buying some Deet, or equivalent, on way back to pad. Got quite a few bites on legs and arms already.

Guest lazyphil

I got DEET on a watch strap once and it disovled it!!...wtf, cant be good for you, is VIT D (?)tablets an option, i heard the sweat u create taking these repels them?......I have not used DEET or anti malaria tablets in SEA since my 1st trip and i get bitten a lot, i find ants more annoying grrrrr

<< Just use DEET repelel invenented for the Service man during the Vietnam War me thinks. >>

If it was, they never issued it to my battalion -- and we were in one of the worst areas for malaria in RVN. For several months the less than 600 of us accounted for more than 50% of the malaria cases in the country. :(

"Bug Fuck" is what the GI's called it. Little green bottle.

It did burn the skin if you had any kind of open sore or cut. Jungle Rot - anyone?

Got to love the wide open spaces and the beautiful jungle scenery.

Eat a lot of raw garlic and the mosquitos will stay away....

....but so will everyone else. Unless you take preventative measures. Drink lots of water and brush your teeth several times a day. Carry some mints.

Cooked garlic works but not as well.

Oh, there are so many claims about using garlic, vitamin B complex, etc...to ward off mossies. All are based on anecdotal information. There have been scientific tests to see if there is any validity to these alternatives to using a chemical mosquito repellent. The bottom line is that _none_ of the claimed alternatives are effective...only use a good chemical mossie repellent!!

Archived