Hey guys, Iâ??m Jeff Winston

Hey guys, Iâ??m Jeff Winston. I am 42 orignaly from Georgia, but have lived in Texas for over 20 years now. I have just been transferred to Thailand to work in the Bangkok office and support work we have in Raynog (sp?). I am now in a hotel (Sheraton) on what looks to me like the main street in Bangkok, after a really long flight from Houston, Texas. I have traveled a lot, but never to Asia before. A friend who is married to someone from Thailand gave me the link to this forum and I really like it.

I have been to office 4 days now, and besides the job I have to figure out real quick, I have to find a place to live for the family. I have a wife (also from Texas) and two children, boy 13 and girl 9. I have heard a lot of advice from other people in my new office, but was just wondering what all the old time Thailand people on this forum think. Where is good place to live and what about schools? My family will come in about a month and I am suppose to figure this out while working 12 hours a days.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, some questions first, so as to be able to help you more accurately...what's your budget for accomodation per month? What kind of area do you want to live in? Suburban? Downtown? Green and leafyish? There are plenty of international schools, again this mostly boils down to location and budget.

Budget? I have allowaneces that the corp gives, I guess that is budget, thought I suppose I can pay more or less than that.

From my HR paper:

Housing: 150,000 bath

Education 585,000 bath per child, 150,000 bath registration fee

Also, I seem to have a car and driver at my beck and call.

Can you expand on what you mean by "Suburban? Downtown? Green and leafyish"

I know nothing about Bangkok other then a car shows up in front of hotel at 7:30AM and is waiting to take me back at about 7:00PM when I leave. I have no idea where I am or where I go. I take the time to catch up on e-mail backlog and can't seem to get my bearings. Other people in office seem to not be real helpful. Might be because I am replacing a person that resigned and no body will discuss it.

Perhaps you should figure out wether you'd rather live in a house or a serviced apartment, noting that U should be able to secure a decent place in BKK city center within your budget.

Which area do you work would count as well, U might apreciate cutting your daily travel time.

Funny also with all the people dying to get an expat assignment in BKK how you seem to have landed here without a clue of the city but a comfy work contract... I can hear some other boardmembers mumbling bitterly behing their desktop :)

Ok, well money wise you seem very nicely set...renting a house or large condo for you and your family should be no problem at all. The education bit seems taken care of also...i'm sure other board members who have children (i don't) can advise of some 'good' schools.

Downtown would be Sukhumvit (where i presume you are currently staying), Silom, Chidlom etc...the central 'expensive' areas of Bangkok. I'm guessing you'll need to be near work, so you'll probably want to be around these areas...there's masses of accomodation to suit all styles and tastes. If you're required to sort this out yourself then google renting in Bangkok...there's lots to choose from. First however, find out the area your office is located in. That'll help in advising you.

Suburban and green/leafy is further out...maybe too far for you...you work long hours and travelling in and around Bangkok is a nasty experience. You can get some really nice digs for 150k a month in central Bangkok.

It's a fun place and an annoying place at times...i don't envy you your hours, but your allowances sound great!

Stop in the Texas Lone Staar this weekend...free food today at 2:30 PM and have a chat with the ol' timers there. Soi 22 Sukhumvit.

Sunday, free food at the Silver Dollar.

Both places in Washington Square. Can take the BTS to Phrom Phong, walk toward Soi 22, turn left at the Irish pub and you are walking into the square, turn left and you walk into Silver Dollar, turn right at Silver Dollar and walk 50 meters and on the left is the Texas Lone Staar.

Jeff - for the sake of long term family happiness, I'd strongly consider at that budgt looking out at Chaeng Wattana, nice vlla's out there, or behind Suk Soi's 27 - 50's

You can get a good american school out near ganeng Wattana, the school on Suk soi 101 - forget the name is highly recomended.

Dont live in the heart of darkness, keep that at arms length.

Your biggest concern should be keeping your wife happy.

I STRONGLY Suggest you look up the Australian New Zealand ladies club, they have a great directory that comes out every year, FANTASTICC to give to a farang wife, full of GOOD advice she'll need.

Everything you need to know you'll learn here.

NEVER mix sleezy Thailand, (The fun stuff) with work, never never never

Archived