Hey guys, Iâ??m Jeff Winston

I believe I just had a flash. I had always thought that people working overseas were doing it to make more money. This had been reinforced by my travels to our various operations in Africa and South America. Everyone I had dealings with was making a lot of money and often counting days until they could go home. Now after spending some time reading old threads on this forum, I realize that some of you here, and maybe a lot of other expats in Thailand, are not making more money, but actually less than in your home country. Now I understand the reaction to my earlier posts when asked what my budget was for living here.

I apologize profusely to all of you, and hope I did not hurt anyoneâ??s feelings with my blasé replies.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff, there is a big gap in Thailand between people sent here by a western company and those hired locally. You wouldn't believe the difference in salary and benefits. Thailand is different from the Middle East, where no one in their right mind would go without a huge salary. Businesses here know that and use it to their advantage. You are one of the lucky ones.

The only problem most of us have is when Thais think a white face automatically means you are on a big salary. You will soon run into "double pricing" - one price for Thais and another for us. A wealthy Thai in a chauffeur driven limousine gets the Thai price (maybe 40 baht), but even a shoestring backpacker who came by bus is asked to fork out the "Farang price" (maybe 400 baht).

:(

p.s. Jeff, have your Mrs read this book. It's old but still worth the reading. Unfortunately, the author died of cancer just about the time the book came out. :(

"Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind" by Carol Hollinger

An American Housewife's Love Affair with Thailand

Carol Hollinger was a housewife, mother and teacher, and 'Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind' is her humorous, often hilarious account of her experience in all those roles during her stay in Thailand, where her husband was stationed in the US foreign service.

A brilliant observer of customs, manners and cultural differences, she writes frankly and unsparingly of herself and her fellow Americans, and relates both the fun and frustration of communicating with the Thai people - without being coy or condescending. Although written over 30 years ago, Mai Pen Rai is as entertaining now as it was when first published, and remains equally as relevant - with its honest and lively anecdotes of this exotic country and its people, and the difficulties and delights foreigners have in adjusting to life in a completely new environment.

A classic and authentic book, not only for all foreign residents and visitors, but also for those who have never been to Thailand, and even for Thais themselves.

Paperback 1965

3rd. Edition 1993

New Printing 2000

Asia Books

202 pages

ISBN 9748303357

Welcome to the board jeff you lucky b*^#@$d :banghead:

Only joking :)

I have spent years working in the places you mentioned (africa/middle east) and just about every shithole imaginable and now even Wales (the worst of all postings, f@#king LNG) waiting patiently for my posting to Thailand, so enjoy it.

I would gladly take a pay cut as I have mention to my CEO if they open a Bangkok office.

So well done for landing the posting of everybody in this forums dreams. :beer:

Stop in the Texas Lone Staar this weekend...free food today at 2:30 PM and have a chat with the ol' timers there. Soi 22 Sukhumvit.

Sunday, free food at the Silver Dollar......

I doubt this guy needs to chat with any WS "ol'timers". He's probably not got a lot in common with a bunch of fucked up Vietnam vet's or just fucked up non Vietnam vets! Also with the money he's on why would he need free food?! :shakehead Good advice, as he has a wife and young family, would be to steer well clear of WS.

You're right, but a little harsh in your assessment of the WS regulars, I think!

Somewhere like The Londoner might be a better place to get one's feet wet.

To Jeff: Good luck, and I hope you keep us posted of developments as you adjust to life in Thailand. If your board name is in fact your real name, I'm sure you'll be changing it in a few months time if you get caught up in the nightlife. :D

" I had always thought that people working overseas were doing it to make more money. "

Jeff... right now writing from the Radisson SAS in Antwerpen... there's a Bollywood party and music's very loud and indians from diamond dealing families are all over the hotel... a few hot chicks but mostly outta reach... quite a bit funnier than the orthodox jews whose dress code I still have a hard time to fathom and who used to run the business but who are surely beeing taken over... I feel a bit lost and wonder if it makes sense moving here... but sure if I take the the whole little family out of lovely Paris to bring them over it's to make more money... a lot more...

Good luck in BKK... I happily left that city for greener pastures a couple of years ago but sure a nice place to be on an expat package...

Do listen to nervous Dog when he's writing about family business... BKK is very tough on couples...especially is the wife is jealous...

Archived