Hey guys, Iâ??m Jeff Winston

Jeff, my dad was an aerospace engineer, so we moved a lot. I went to three different junior high schools! As a kid, you get used to it.

There is a group of international housewives here who learn to conduct tours of the National Museum in their own language, give lectures on Thai history, art etc. Plenty for a wife to do.

p.s. I'd comment on the effed up Vietnam vet remark, except I'm an effed up Vietnam vet myself. I almost never go to Washington Square though. They call me "sonny" when I do. You really have to be a Korean War vet or earlier to fit in at WS. :dunno:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff - Nichida is Nichida Thani, the place on Chaing Wattana I suggester you look at.

Your wife will like it there, far enough away though it can get boring, STRONGLY recommend the Aus/NZ Womens group, they do visits to the Pakkred Baby home etc that keeps your wife BUZY, BUZY wife = happy wife

DOG

The place is called Nichada Thani.

http://www.nichada.com/?index

I think you can get all of the information from your golf pals, they are a pretty good group and most have a great sense of humor. They can drink all night long and then some. Some have been known to go all night and go directly to the golf course for a 6:xx tee time.

Rents in Nichada are all over the place. 150 will get you an OK, not great house. About 450sm and a pool.

ISB is about the same cost as the other schools, but is the place to be if you're an American. Decent school, not fantastic, but better than most public schools in the US (IMHO). Not on par with private schools in the US or some of the better International schools, like Jakarta and Singapore.

http://www.isb.ac.th/

PM if you want more detailed info. Not good to say too much on a public board as you can be ID'd, which may be too late in your case.

The Nichida area looks like the place to live. Seems they have a real active expat community there. There are extracurricular sports for the kids. They go to various tournaments to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Jakarta, playing other teams, both western kids and locals. One told me he went to Kuala Lumpur 2 weeks ago to for his kid to play in Rugby tournament. Rugby? Do Americans play Rugby? Texans sure donâ??tâ??. My son is very much into sports, this sounds really good for him and will give him exposure to other sports not played a lot in Texas.

A couple of the other guys are active in Habitat for Humanity. I didnâ??t even know they did this outside the US. A couple of times a year a large group from Nichida goes to places in Thailand and builds several houses for the local people. I always thought this was some symbolic thing, but these guys say it really works and continues after they leave. 2 of the wives volunteer at some orphanage a couple of days a week.

My wife gave up her career after our daughter was born 9 years and has become a fully committed house wife, which as far I can see, is the same as a full time job. We have talked almost every night since I got here and she is really excited about the huge change we are facing. The guys from work say their wives love it here and dread ever having to go back and live in the US. Of the 6 guys I played golf with on Sunday, 2 have been here 2 years with no plans to return and others have been here 5 years or so. One guy has been here almost 15 years.

We are really jazzed about this move and think it is a great thing. It will certainly help rehabilitate my somewhat lagging career, as our Thailand operations is a recently acquired key strategic area for one of our major business lines. I can see staying here for some time.

The place is called Nichada Thani.

http://www.nichada.com/?index

I think you can get all of the information from your golf pals, they are a pretty good group and most have a great sense of humor. They can drink all night long and then some. Some have been known to go all night and go directly to the golf course for a 6:xx tee time.

Rents in Nichada are all over the place. 150 will get you an OK, not great house. About 450sm and a pool.

ISB is about the same cost as the other schools, but is the place to be if you're an American. Decent school, not fantastic, but better than most public schools in the US (IMHO). Not on par with private schools in the US or some of the better International schools, like Jakarta and Singapore.

http://www.isb.ac.th/

PM if you want more detailed info. Not good to say too much on a public board as you can be ID'd, which may be too late in your case.

Not sure we are talking about the same group. At least 3 guys talked about not going to church that morning in order to have this round with me. Seems they normally only play once a month on Saturday so they can go to church and all the activities afterward and usually have sports or something with their kids on Saturdays.

Do you think I can be ID? None of the guys I have talked to so far have mentioned anything about Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza except in some sort of disparging way so would they be secret members her? If someone on this board thinks they know who I am, I hope they will get a message to me and not "out" me publicly.

I don't see that you've said anything to worry about being ID'd for. A lot of us here know each other. We just use board handles for privacy.

p.s. Rugby is a great game! Believe it or not, American football is supposed to have developed from Rugby. In my opinion, they should have left it alone. Rugby is constant action, none of that "okay, now everybody stop and let's line up again" stuff. Some US universities play rugby, but it doesn't have much financial backing compared to American football.

Archived