Thai Bars and BG prices

Good evening in Sanuk land. smile.gif" border="0 Ocassionally I've seen some expats posting complaints about bar prices and especially BG fees being too high or being driven up by Sanuk-loving tourists. I usually just laugh at their comments as I can remember making the same complaints when I was in LOS back in 73-74. But we complained (we being AF sanukers) about the Marines hitiing the BGs on pass. Those SOBs would pay wild amounts of money---crazy amounts! tongue.gif" border="0 Five to ten times the going rate at the time. Wasn't worth our time to go to town if they were on the prowl. crazy.gif" border="0 Fortunately that was a rare occurance-- laugh.gif" border="0

By the way, for those who are somewhat vocal about tourists paying too much, the rates when I was there last were; No bar fines, ST-LT same price and around B30 to a high of B100! It was not unusual if the girl hit it off with you, to go for free and enjoy Sanuk herself.

We didn't have any rules on discussing price, sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't and just left them a tip.

I remember one beauty when I was broke and on my last couple of beers with taxi money only in my pocket taking me home, LT, cooked breakfast for me the next morning, and paid my taxi fare back home! laugh.gif" border="0 Yes, I ran into her other times and tipped heer well for her kindness and for more great times.

Anyway, thought this would add perspective on prices and inflation.

Coming to LOS in Feb 02 for a week and looking forward to making the acquaintance of many new friends and ladies.

phop kan mai,khrap smile.gif" border="0

Additional comments. smile.gif" border="0 I thought about this some more and thought that I should also say that when I saw STs being around THB500-1000, I thought that was pretty high even with 28 years of inflation. After all, the highest we paid when I was there last was THB100 which was US$5.00. But now that I think about it, THB1000 in my day was US$50, and it's now approximately US$22! So BG rates today for ST are US$11-22 on average, only 300 percent higher than 27-28 yrs ago! Hardly anything to complain about from my long-toothed perspective. smile.gif" border="0

Thai_vet_73-74

Sukhumvit: The girls were beautiful back then too! smile.gif" border="0 I haven't been back since then, but I did marry one (a Thai lady) and we've been together for 27 years. No complaints. I've met a few who have traveled here to US and some were good looking and some so-so. I sure hope to complete additional research on this topic when I come to Bangkok next Feb. Will have a week alone as wife will be going back to Udon Thani to visit family. then we are touring Chang Mai and Phuket--total of three weeks.

Thai_vet_73-74

Approximately the same time, 74-75, the going rate for LT around the bases was 100 baht, not even any discussion. Just leave a red note (often referred to as a "love" note) on the nightstand in the morning. Scene was much more oriented to teelocking (living together) for some period of time--you could find some real lookers who were between boyfriends. The girls were still pretty good looking in November last year. The scene may be more mercenary, but it seems the girls still like to have some fun in the course of the work day. wink.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Archived