Airbus 380 flys into LAX

OCgringo

Well it came to town today ,

no passangers on the LAX flight

580 passangers if it was full ! (Frankfurt -New York was full )

LAX is spending 120 million dollars on upgrades so it can land here (what a waste of $$$ )

one thing never mentioned is how long the lines will be at Immigration if a couple of these land at the same time :(

but I guess you cannot stop progress :confused:

OC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LAX is spending 120 million dollars on upgrades so it can land here (what a waste of $$$ )

one thing never mentioned is how long the lines will be at Immigration if a couple of these land at the same time

but I guess you cannot stop progress

A little bit of progress at LAX wouldn't be a bad thing. The Bradley terminal has been obsolete ever since it was built. They can patch it up all they want, but immigration, as you say, will still be a pain and can you imagine baggage claim? At present, they need a couple of carousels to to handle a 747 with guys hauling off bags just to keep the system from backing up. :crazy:

Your board name implies you're from the OC. Any chance you guys will offer us up a new airport location in your county, such as Los Alamitos? Or would you rather just be NIMBYs and sit back and complain? :grin:

no airport in OC.....

they would rather have houses like El toro....

the only place they will force us into will be Palmdale , but they will need a 300 mph train to make me use palmdale :)

and I do not see that happening....

The 120 million will only patch the Bradley terminal,

just seems stupid to spend big bucks because of the Airbus 380 that might not even get built , or if built will be in very small numbers....

OC

The A380 has only been delayed. There are quite a few on order and on the production line. The one that landed at LAX is destined for Qantas who plan to operate in on the Syd-LAX route. I think Singapore will also be looking to fly theirs to LAX. And probably Emirates and others.

For LAX not to upgrade their facilities for this new type would see it become obsolete as a major international hub as soon as the new type comes into service..

If they sort their shit out with the wiring (always a worrying issue!!) and ramp up production, the A380 is going to be massively popular...it's a wonderful aircraft....just a shame the management involved are total fuckwits.

No chance of the program being cancelled.

Delayed - but here to stay, for sure.

I'm just waiting for one of the LCC's to buy one... it's only a matter of time. And the Japanese airlines would be very interested in using them in an all-economy configuration for domestic flights.

With an all-economy config, you would be looking at about 800 people on the one aircraft.

I would have also thought Ryanair would be interested, but seeing as they only fly into shit-hole airports about 100km out of the town they advertise they fly to, the runways would be far too short and the facilities would be far too inadequate to handle an aircraft of this size.

the runways would be far too short and the facilities would be far too inadequate to handle an aircraft of this size.

I don't think the length of the runaway is the main issue. I have read that though Arlanda (Sweden's main international airport) has runaways long enough they can't take the weight of an A380.

I think it will not be what they hope,

Sure there were orders, many canceled,

but only large Airports will upgrade to accept them,

so that cuts out many of the routes,

Plus most airlines will not be able to fill 580 seats everyday to one destination ,

Like always time will tell, yes more will be built but all the Airports will get screwed "upgrading" for the stampede that is not coming :(

OC

If they sort their shit out with the wiring (always a worrying issue!!) and ramp up production, the A380 is going to be massively popular...it's a wonderful aircraft....just a shame the management involved are total fuckwits.

The A380 is the dodo bird of the aviation world. It will be like the L1011, a money maker for the airlines BUT a loser for the manufacturer. Very few routes have enough premium traffic to fill this plane.

If Boeing can deliver the 787 they promised, it will change the industry. Like going from cloth and wood to Al.

Archived