Airbus 380 flys into LAX

OCgringo

Well I think the 380 may have a niche. But in the long run it is a one trick pony. Range and access to the most airports is the key. I think the 787 will be much more popular. Also this is just a personal take, but there is something about airbus products that just make me uneasy. They seem to have a sort of "flimsy" feel to them. I was talking to a airline guy one time and mentioned that I prefer Boeing aircraft. He laughed and said " Oh you don't like being on a scarebus" They really dont feel that stable in the air, to me.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about, Vegas. I feel very confident in an Airbus AND in a Boeing. I don't see how you can descirbe an airliner as "flimsy".

Boeing has a far higher incident rate than Airbus, but then again, Boeing has been around a lot longer and has more planes flying in the sky.

Both the 777 and A340 are crash free at this stage.

Incidents Per Aircraft Type

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" The crap I see on our fleet of A-319 ans A-320 is just rediculis "

Maybe due to unsufficient maintenance ; other than you with your erratic prejudices the real world sees it different as there are virtually no second hand 320 on the market due to high demand . Even Airbus haters British Airways buy them now because they simply outperform the basically much older 737 . About a year ago you were praising Boeing for its aluminum policy and now they build the first all plastic aircraft 787 , probably you are just not catching up with late technology any more .

BuBi

I am not pro-Airbus , just anti-nonsense

I wonder if the new BKK airport is set up for the 380 ?

or will the runway take the weight ?

The airport has 5 gates that can accommodate the A380. Actually any airport gate that can take a 747 can take a 380 without modification. The upper deck gets serviced and boarded via the lower deck which takes 30 minutes longer.

The runways at Suvarnabhumi should be repaired before the A380 comes into service.

The 787 and A380 aren't really direct rivals. The 787 is more directly in competition with the A350, which could be called a more hi-tech version of the A330.

I remember the hype when the 787 was first touted as the 7E7 and they showed images of this futuristic plane designed to attract attention. The actual plane is going to me much much more conventional looking.

The 747 hump was originally to facilitate conversion to a freighter as it was expected the supersonic planes would become the norm. The new 747-8 will have a longish hump like the 400 series, but has new technology developed for the 787. That will be out in the next couple of years.

I fly mostly long haul between London and Australia, the kind of route the A380 is designed for. If they can make it a bit more comfortable than any 747 I've been on, I'll be pleased.

Bubi,

Airbus practically gave those things away. Now their sales are "a bit off." Anyway, the maintaince is outsourced, often to Airbus reps, or to outside venders Airbus aproves...come to think of it, it could be shotty Airbus maintaince... :) we handle the stuff that pops up between HMVs. They are flimsy, and they do fall apart a lot faster. Approximately 70% of our plans down for unscheduled maintaince on any given day, are air Bus. Point is, they break down far more often than "other brands."

Reason there aren't many used on the market? who really knows, could be most airlines parked a lot of planes, and thus used stuff is in little demand...or maybe no one wants a used airbus...sort od like a used Yugo.

As for my comments you mis quoated, I said, and still stand by, Boeing phased in all these new composite stuff over time, little by little, Airbus just thought it would be a new thing that would just work...it does not. They needed to keep going back to the drawing board, as they did with this A380...as for my bias? no, I just fix them, I do seem to recall however that you have some sort of financial interest in them...that couldn't be clouding your judgement could it?

There is another airliner "ghost town" out in Mohave north of Los Angeles,

There was a Canada Air exec on the radio this morning saying he liked the 380 but would not be ordering any, in fact no North american Airline has ordered any 380s,

The Exec said he would rather have 2 aircraft fly the same route (morning and an afternoon flight) than one 380 ,

I still think LAX is getting suckered into upgrading for this plane , which will only be a few flights per day....

OC

Archived