my top ten list of violent movie scenes

preahko

Check out Chan-Wook Parks Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). They are all masterworks and they all got some pretty gruesome scenes in them.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/old_boy.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUFaDj3mBCI

I also recently saw Takashi Miikeâ??s Audition. The ending is quite insane!! Well, anything from him is insane...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out Chan-Wook Parks Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). They are all masterworks and they all got some pretty gruesome scenes in them.

...especially the squid scene in Oldboy...one of the very best scenes (in any category) in movie history...

Not ten moments, but some good ones I think:

1. Clockwork orange: The rape scene in a country house setting where the main perp gave a Fred Astaire imitation was pretty disturbing to me.

2. Strawdogs: Another brutally realistic rape scene. Highly controversial at the time, because Susan George seemed to appreciate making love to thug # 1, her former boyfriend, but wasn't to pleased when thug #2 climbed her as well.

3. The Wild Bunch: Saw this for the first time when I was a young kid, and the opening scene where a few kids torture a centipede by throwing it in an ant's nest was pretty disturbing to me.First you only see those innocent looking kids having a great time, and then you see what they're actually doing. Never knew kids could be so cruel.

4. Irreversible: This movie I had to turn off when a guy enters a nightclub looking for someone, and when he thinks he finds him, flattens his face with a fire extinguisher till it resembles a pancake. The camera never looks away for a moment. Sick, sick, sick. Oh, did I mention he dit it to the wrong guy?

5. Deliverance: Ned Beatty getting raped like a pig by a couple of half wit hillbillies sure made an impression on me!

6. Audition: Little disturbed girl gets her way with some guy, and pries several needles in his body with surgical precision and dedication. I could feel those needles, man. Ouch!

7. Goodfellas: It wasn't the violence that shocked me, but the promise of violence, when Joe Pesci had a mood swing and went mental on Ray Liotta: "I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?." It showed so well what an incredible psychopath he was.

One of my faves, Clockwork Orange. Beautiful scene as Alex is in "therapy" and, having been exposed to the Bible, is picturing Christ walking, dragging the cross, wearing a crown of thorns, being flogged by a Centurion. As the camera pans back, we see it is Alex doing the whipping. Priceless. Many other disturbing scenes in this film (Alex being waterboarded by Dim, etc.)

And I think honorable mention must be made to Sam Pekinpah, a pioneer in cinema violence, who did the screenplays for "Straw Dogs"and "The Wild Bunch", both mentioned above

Archived