Nihongo ga wakarimasu ka?

I know quite a few bar girls that have learned to speak basic Japanese. Pretty smart of them to learn to converse with their "best" customers! The only thing that bothers me about them is the overpaying issue. I spent 2 months in Japan once and found the people quite friendly to me and have nothing against them. I just wish there was a way we could educate them not to overpay, especially in Thermae!

Ranger

The number of ladies in the better bars in NEP who simply don't deal with farangs seems to grow by the week. Are we becoming second class citizens at NEP?

Perhaps this is part of the reason behind the shift towards Cowboy that Stickman mentioned in his weekly column last week. I know that this is one of the reasons I like CEP. Now mind you, it's not being around Japanese people that's the issue. I actually worked in Japan for 3 years, speak excellent Japanese, and have quite a bit of experience in sanuking "the Japanese way." No -- it's the fact that I feel more relaxed without the sort of competetive turf system that seems to be taking hold as NEP becomes more and more popular with our Japanese sanuker bretheren.

Over time I am starting to seriously wonder how long it will be before one cannot assume that the unofficial second language of sanuk is English. In the not too distant future, linguistic fumbling with a bargirl may require broken Japanese.

Or is the low season just particularly low this year and the relative percentage of Japanese just seems higher? Thoughts?

I've visited Japan and speak very limited Japanese (wakarimasu nihongo skoshi hanishimasu) I know its butchered but its been a while! Anyway, it appears they have their own little areas and are do not wish to socialize in places with gaijins (non japanese).

A number of BGs and you have to take anything they say with a kilo of salt say they do not like the Japanese but they pay well. They put the pecking order of preference as follows: Americans, Brits and Northern Europeans (Norwegians, etc) then Germans and Japanese, then Indians & Africans bringing up the rear.

This is not meant to insult anyone, but I've been told by several of them, their preference.

Archived