I'm coming to Bangkok at end of June!

Middsy

Good evening all.

Getting really excited (even though it's 3 months away) about coming over from England. It'll be my first time. It would be really appreciated if anybody could name some of the must see sights (mainly in the Capital), great bars, gogo clubs and where to get the best value for money body massage! I saw an example on a programme over here, and if 1 1/2 hours is the norm for such a relaxation, I'm twitching!

I've got a Rough Guide book to Thailand, but I'm presuming you guys know where the safest, reasonable places to visit are as you'll all have first hand experience.

Any information would be well received. You can email me at middsyuwe@hotmail.com if you have anything to offer.

Thanks in advance.

Middsy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Middsy welcome to the board. Everything you will probably want to know you'll find here amongst the forums. Check out the different ares Nightlife etc Accomodation etc. A lot of info available to make your trip that little bit easier. Just remember to leave your heart at home. :beer:

Cheers guys. I've just read my original post and I seem like a self confessed sex fiend, when I know that Thailand has so much more to offer. I'm pretty street wise anyway, but being streetwise in bangkok is probably slightly different so I will definately take my brain.

For ten days, how many dollers/GB Pounds do you reckon is worth bringing? I'm gearing myself for the region of £800-900? I'm guessing that's more than enough to really enjoy the trip and see loads of the country?

Assuming you're a young guy and doing a backpacker type trip, that budget should be more than enough.

As an old fart, I like to stay in relatively nice hotels and I usually pay women for their company. That can run up costs - I'd guess that 75% of my budget is spent on drinks and women. Unless I'm fond of the girl and take her shopping - then it really gets silly. :crazy:

It just depends upon your expectations, and you haven't really told us too much about them. Are hotels and internal airfares included in your budget?

Personally, I'd budget twice that for everything except airfares and shopping, based upon experience.

But I know your budget is doable. I've tried it - it just didn't work out for me because I spend too much in bars. In years past, I had to borrow money from expat mates because the wifey back home had her fingers on the money controls! Now, that's embarrassing! :nono:

I always end up spending more than I planned mostly being too generous with the girls!! :dunno::p:beer: I always take my ATM card to get extra cash if needed. Keep it locked up at the hotel though do not carry it around while you're drinking!! If you spend a little extra you will have a better time the girls can spot a "Cheap Charlie" a mile away. :mad:

S1

For ten days, how many dollers/GB Pounds do you reckon is worth bringing? I'm gearing myself for the region of £800-900?

£80 per day? if this is to include hotel and food then double it + take a few extra £100's for emergency fun. This being your first time things are always a little bit more expensive until you learn the ropes. My first visit completely blew my budget for 2 weeks in 1 week.

So advise, take your visa with you. :)

A bit of advice: THINK IN BAHT. Don't try to figure what prices are in US$ or GB pounds. Get used to using the local currency right away. It will save you a lot of money.

To give you an idea, the average Thai monthly income is probably around 7,000 baht. That is only around US$200 or a bit over £100. Remember that when something seems cheap to you.

A "friend" of mine was in Bkk quite recently and literally "Blew a wad"....(Pun intended)....but even so, leaving the expensive presents out of the picture, it's not hard to part with 10k baht a day....(after hotel and ticket expenses, of course)......Not hard at all!!!!

Archived