Nana Plaza going down?

boemba

After a pause of a few weeks, I went back to Nana Plaza this evening (sunday). I was really surprised to see that around 1A.M. a lot of the big bars were doing very poor business (except for Playskool and Hollywood). When going upstairs to Carnival I noticed it was virtually empthy, while Hollywood Strip was also doing very poorly. The last few weeks I have been wondering around Soi Cowboy a lot, which is closer to my home anyway, and noticed that even on sundays, the big bars at least are doing quite well. Is there a major shift underway, driving customers from Nana Plaza to Soi Cowboy? If anyone has similar experience , please comment.

Stickman commented on exactly the same points you have raised in last week's `weekly column' on his website, though I better not copy and paste it on here in case he objects.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: ozbod ]

ozbod,

If you quote stickman and give him the credit that it is his work, I'm sure he will not object.

From what I understood he gets pissed off when people copy his work claiming they wrote it, and rightly so.

If I am mistaken no doubt stickman will let us know.

Have a nice one,

racha,

My view too, havn't set foot inside Nana for a month, rediscovering some other places partic at SC, at midnight Bar they even let me park my bike out fron where the girls keep an eye on it for me (I got other things to look at)Better attitude from the Girls partic in off season and cheaper. If all the bars in SC could get their act together instead of just the big ones,the place would hum (and the prices would go up)Oh, Jesus!!

To BOEMBA

I arrived in BKK last week for holiday(first time I'm here in lowseason).

First night I checked out NEP: compared to March 2000 this time Rainbow 2 had IMO the bestlooking girls(last year G-spot was my favourite)although not much special.I have never seen before the quality of girls being so bad than now.

Although it's lowseason I found the nep-girls quite stand-offish; and not moneyhungry at all.

The prices quoted to me weren't lower than in higher season. Atmosphare due to lack of customers was a little depressing.

The same day I also went to Clinton Plaza.Quality of girls in Dollhouse,Hardrock etc. not better than NEP. I've read a lot of positive posts about Dollhouse here,so maybe my expectations were to high,but it was a disappointment to me.As for Rockhard: this place has nothing in commmon with Rockhard Phuket which IMO is one of the best gogo's in Thailand.

I discovered that the barfine in CP beerbars is 500 baht!! The girls there complain like hell,because no one wants to pay 500 barfine at a beerbar (they say).

Next day went over to soi Cowboy; you must know I never liked this place really; empty bars and very poor selection of girls.

NOW this is the first time in my life that I had a much better time in Soi Cowboy than in NEP. Never thought this would be possible.

The quality of girls in most bars isn't below NEP. Some bars had even better girls than some NEP gogo's.

The girls were more friendly to me than in NEP

Another thing: I spent about half the money there than I did in Nep although I bought the same amount of drinks.NEP has become an expensive place for drinkers.

Last night in BKK I went to Patpong. I had a blast; had a great time in a few Kings bars. Was treated like a VIP in Kings Castle2;these people know how to run a gogobar.

Things went a bit wrong later in another bar but I will post about my Patpongnight later.

Until now,my best night out was in Patpong.

Right now I'm in Pattaya;very empty ,a lot of bars haven't customers (I don't like it so much to be the only customer in a gogobar).The lookers in Pattaya are married or have gone home(I don't know) but they are NOT here.

2lucky1

I discovered that the barfine in CP beerbars is 500 baht!! The girls there complain like hell,because no one wants to pay 500 barfine at a beerbar (they say).

Lek's Boozer next to Dollhouse the bar fine is 300B. Two new girls from Chiang Mai have just started.

Carnival has really gone to hell, compared to last year. Most of the Crown group bars have, which makes their recent price jump even more unbelievable. I suppose they figure they aren't getting enough business, so they will make the customers they have pay more to make up for it. Great logic.

p.s. Soi Cowboy in the '80s became the expats' favourite, thanks to the high prices at Patpong. But now the bigger Nana bars have raised their drinks to a higher price than even Patpong! I'm sure the Cowboy bar owners are quite happy. (Don't write off all of NEP though. The smaller bars like the Titty Twister have kept their prices just as they were. It's wrong to punish them for the price gougers, which doufas Trink seems to be advising.)

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat:

NEP has become an expensive place for drinkers.

Last night in BKK I went to Patpong. I had a blast; had a great time in a few Kings bars. Was treated like a VIP in Kings Castle2;these people know how to run a gogobar.

Things went a bit wrong later in another bar but I will post about my Patpongnight later.

Until now,my best night out was in Patpong.

2lucky1

Blackcat -- Please allow me to point out that it feels even more expensive if you're not a drinker. How would you like to pay 90 B for a glass of watered down artificial orange juice mix? At least in Pat Pong you get a real glass of orange juice, and, yes, the King's Group does know how to run a gogo bar. Sorry to hear that things went a bit wrong for you in another bar. I'll assume you were still in Pat Pong and won't be surprised. G.

I used to almost always hang out at NEP and now rarely do, other than to go to Woodstock to meet the boys or when I have a craving for a burger. Was at Cowboy last night and noticed how nice it was to pay 50 or 60 Baht for my colas or juice instead of the outrageous 95B many bars at NEP charge. The tourists can have the place!

Ranger

Archived