Nana Plaza going down?

boemba

Thanks Racha and thanks stickman for permission to paste the following snippet from your weekly column which expresses similar views to the above:

Stickman Weekly 1/7/2001

http:www.chopsticks.net/stickman/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now officially into the tourist low season, the time when folks from the northern hemisphere holiday locally rather than trek all the way over to tropical Asia only to find the rain bucketing down. In the time that I have been in Thailand, things have slowly got busier and busier, as the number of tourists to Thailand increases along with the number of expats residing in the city, but at the moment, things seem very quiet.

What is happening at Nana Plaza? During week nights, things seem unusually quiet there. Imagine walking around Nana Plaza at 9:25 PM and into three of the biggest and most popular bars, Fantasia, Playskool and Rainbow 1 and seeing that not one girl had been barfined in ALL three bars! Not one! Imagine walking into Rainbow 1 and seeing less than ten customers - and more than 70 girls dancing, all looking frustrated at the lack of customers, the lack of possible candidates to take them home. I've never seen it like this before. Cowboy and Patpong are quieter than they were a couple of months ago, but not to the extent that Nana is.

Nana Plaza bar owners will deny it but there has been a definite swing from Nana Plaza to Cowboy. Sure, Nana still gets more punters than Cowboy, but Cowboy is getting noticeably busier. Quiet season in Cowboy usually means things are really quiet - but for now, there are still plenty of customers around. For the past few years, Nana Plaza has been the expats favourite bar area, but it feels as though Cowboy is slowly catching up. Why is that? Probably several things have contributed including some Nana bars increasing their drink prices and a noticeable decline in the attitude of staff at Nana. On top of this, Cowboy is no longer a collection of grotty old bars like it was a year or two back. There are the recently refurbished bars like My Lady and Bacarra and then there are the bars where the staff have a great attitude like Tilac and especially Midnite Bar, currently my favourite place to drink.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: ozbod ]

toCondomking:

You wrote:"I'll assume you were still in Patpong and won't be surprised".

In fact I was surprised all night,both very positive and later in one bar a bit negative.

The first couple of bars I went in, I was treated like a special person,friendly smiles from ALL the girls and the staff (much different from NEP,CP),girls came over to have a friendly chat and you won't believe what I say now but they did NOT ask me to buy them cola.I could decide myself if and when I would by an LD.

In Thighbar I did a test because I was a little confused what was happening to me in Patpong this time: a friendly girl cameover to hhave a chat.I tested how long it would take before she would ask for a drink. After having a nice conversation for more than 20 minutes I decided to give her a drink because she still hadn't asked for one.

The negative part was in the last bar I went.Was exactly the Patpong I remember from 10 years ago which means: Lots of beautyqueens (It's like I was dreaming)but pestering for drinks,coming over to me with a drink and say "you bought me cola okay?"

Also with the barfine something went wrong.

Still my night ended positive;I saw a girl I met before that night in a Patponggogo in Kings Garden later that night.I can't say I regret I took her.

2lucky1

I think it is true there is some small shift from Nana to Soi Cowboy, but also it really is the low season. I'll bet both are booming during the cool season.

Cheers!

Archived