International Drivers License?

Bkkbound04

I've driven many times in LOS over the years, longest trips being from Burriram to Koh Samui & PHuket to Bangkok. In my early years I used to go to the trouble of getting an international drivers license but have'nt done so for years. Budget who I use freqently don't even ask to see my license anymore, its all done on line based on previous details with the car being delivered to me.

Anyway, in April I'm planning to drive from BKK to Ubon and the GF is insisting I need a international drivers license, it was of no use when I used to have one, I've been stopped three times by cops in past and they never want to see any documentation only cash. Should I take half a day out of my busy week to sort this?

JP

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if your license in in English already, then it is legal for temporary use in LoS (or for conversion to a Thai DL). So no point at all to an IDP.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks I thought as much.

Its funny as the gf recently got a thai license, when I said if its such a problem me drving she could drive she said 'I only have license not the ability' to drive! :spin:

JP

We've had this discussion several times I recall and everyone agrees getting stopped by the cops with or without an IDP seems to make little difference. However depending where your original license comes from ( link here for UK licenses http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html ) there seems to be a requirement to have an IDP. I always keep mine up to date by post each year as I need it elsewhere also. Afaik you cannot get a Thai DL on certain kinds of visas.

Bkkbound04

as you're in London you can pick up an international driving permit at any post office in your lunch hour, it only takes 10 minutes.

The cops here won't accept an English license if you're pulled over, and you can forget about any insurance cover paying up if you're in an accident with no valid license.

You can also apply by post for one look at www.theaa.com for less than 10 quid it's worth having one.

it is not a matter, what the Thai cops need, as you can always bargain your way out (i used to show them my old expired ID and they believed that it is a international driver license).

the problem starts, when you get involved in a accident; if you have no valid driver license (which is a Thai license or a international), no insurance need to cover anything!

Archived