International Drivers License?

Bkkbound04

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as you're in London you can pick up an international driving permit at any post office in your lunch hour, it only takes 10 minutes.

quote]

Unfortunately very few post offices issue them, my nearest in London is Trafalgar Sq and is just inconvienient. I've asked budget to email me and confirm acceptance of a UK license.

JP

JP

ya... well, as i've said earlier I too have not even produced any sort of driving licnse for budget the last few years but as seen in the thread, the weight of evidence and written requirements require one. That'll make my GF happy she proved me wrong. :smirk:

JP

• 4 weeks later...
We've had this discussion several times I recall and everyone agrees getting stopped by the cops with or without an IDP seems to make little difference. However depending where your original license comes from ( link here for UK licenses http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html ) there seems to be a requirement to have an IDP. I always keep mine up to date by post each year as I need it elsewhere also. Afaik you cannot get a Thai DL on certain kinds of visas.

it does make a difference, at least in phuket. cops would not accept a foreign licence at road blocks etc. They wanted local or IDL. For both cars and motobikes. And the times when the proper docs were produced we were on our way without any further ado/or having to part with money...

Yes, I show my IDL and many times the police have said, "very good"...and I was on my way.

There are soooo many Thais that are under age and driving without a license, you have the correct docs, no problem.

yup, and just to clarify, i asked the police and they clarified that by law you can only drive in thailand with a local licence or IDL. Whether car rental agencies or police enforce it is another matter, as with all their other laws...

Archived