International Drivers License?

Bkkbound04

I recently acquired my five year Thai drivers license, and while I was at the Department of Motor Vehicles, I figured "what the hell" and got the International DL as well.

Obviously, both are in the Thai language.

I recently rented a car from a vendor located next door to Venus Jewelry on Wittayu/Wireless Road. I showed my Thai DL, my passport, my visa, and after a small deposit and payment in advance for two days rental, was driving away in a nice little Toyota. It took about ten minutes.

I do not carry the IDL here in the Kingdom. I got it because my DL from my country of origin expired. I figured that I could use the IDL and my Thai DL to rent a vehicle in the event that I ever went back to my former country of residence for a visit.

I seem to recall that the cost of the IDL at the DMV near Chatuchak was around 1,000 baht. They did issue me a receipt for it.

Cost of the car rental, 1,200 baht a day, 2,000 baht refundable deposit. The rental firm was very easygoing, very Thai. I walked in, they wai'd, I paid, I signed some papers, and that was that. When I returned the car, they glanced at it, confirmed that it was intact, and handed me back 2,000 baht.

Excellent experience, and I will rent from them again.

FWIW.

:)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
magician, how long is your thai IDL valid for?

and does it not have any english on it at all? thought the IDL was meant to be a translation of the local license..

thanks

Let me have a quick glance at it here....

Ok. Mine has the following languages:

a. English

b. Thai

c. Spanish

d. Russian

e. German

f. Chinese

g. Arabic

h. Japanese

i. French

It is only valid for one year.

No plastic card with mine. Just a little silver booklet with Thai designs on it.

I wish that it was smaller. It is actually inconveniently large.

:)

Same with me.

I once forgot to have the IDL in my car and was stopped at a tollbooth. I only had my US license, which the police rejected. So I had to pay an 'on the spot' fine.

I've been stopped 2 other times but showed an IDL, and then was treated well. "Thank you and have a good day", or something to that effect.

Archived