The New Shadow Bar, Soi Cowboy

Just returned from Soi Cowboy, with Chokdi. We tried the "new" Shadow Bar and Jukes. Shadow Bar has an impressive new awning outside and an impressive new interior decor.

And, not wishing to be unkind, the same sweet but overweight dancers as before. But it's worth a visit to see the new interior.

Jukes is kind of a family bar. They hustled us for a few drinks but were friendly and there were four little kids running around some of whom made it onto the stage. The mamasan seemed very taken with Chokdi. He good man, quiet man like boyfriend she. Right on, Chokdi!

Cheers!

Thanks for the warning, er, I mean the review.

(Like boyfriend she. The ultimate compliment. Love it.) tongue.gif" border="0

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

Thanks for the review of Shadow Bar, Sombat.

Ah, old Jack must be rollin' over in his grave/urn with these renovations. How many of you remember him? A truly unforgettable character.

One of my fondest recollections of him and 'the Old Shadow Bar' was the lucite keychains he sold which encased some of his dancers's pubic hair. One night I asked him where he got the hair from. In response he bellowed (Jack was hard of hearing and wore a hearing aid): 'Guess it is harvesting time again.' He then proceeded to have his dancers that were not already bottomless drop trou and he gave them a clipping, preserving the hair for future keychains. Good old Jack. Not enough of these characters around anymore.

By the way, Sombat, you are right on about the description of the ladies in Shadow Bar. That has not changed over the years. Also, I hope they improved the hongnam situation there. Last time I was there I was totally befuddled by a hongnam door which SLID open rather than a push/pull variety. Nearly peed my pants trying to get in before I figured it out. Also, inexplicably outside the hongnam there was a toilet just sitting there not connected to anything. I wonder how many used it when they couldn't figure out the magic sliding door?

quote:

Originally posted by Sarisin:

Also, I hope they improved the hongnam situation there. Last time I was there I was totally befuddled by a hongnam door which SLID open rather than a push/pull variety. Nearly peed my pants trying to get in before I figured it out. Also, inexplicably outside the hongnam there was a toilet just sitting there not connected to anything. I wonder how many used it when they couldn't figure out the magic sliding door?

At least they don't still have Jack's 'Cunts' and 'Cocks' toilet signs - a fine example of 'Crazy' Jack's 'hilarious' sense of humour. I'm sorry, I know he's supposed to be a bit of a legend, but I'm saying nothing different here to what I did when he was still alive but to me his attitude towards the girls stunk.

Any employer who has an employee ID board where the dancers' numbers were matched up with close ups of their genitals is no great loss IMHO.

LG

Long Gun:

Two things puzzle me about your post.

First, you quote the part of my post related to my hongnam difficulties, but your comments are a go at Crazy Jack.

Technical difficulties perhaps?

But, then to be upset with dirty toilet signs and photos posted in a bar of indistinguishable you-name-its (man, if you could tell what those photos were, you must be a part-time gynecologist), I am really surprised. Particularly, when you could be entertained by ladies on stage displaying the real deal and having everything but a farm tractor driven into it.

I was no worshipper of Jack either, but I must admit that his bar was an interesting diversion at times. I am hoping to check out the new Shadow Bar for myself this weekend.

Sarisin

Long Gun simply took advantage of the time-honored legal trick of "driving through a door when it is opened" - in this case, parlaying your thread about bathrooms into comments about the originator of those bathroom signs. Sounds OK to me, no technical difficulties there.

Long gun is of course free to express his opinions, I'm sure that Marcel would edit out if they were inappropriate.

Anyway, interesting theme, but the guy's gone for good anyway. Like you, I look forward to reviewing the new version....cheers

Archived