SWIFT transfers to BKK

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do them all the time, in & out, for my business. 1-3 days from any country in the world is my experience -- nary a drama in five years. And these are high usually value xfers, triggering the intrusive paperwork.

This is with K-Bank, Suk soi 33 branch.

Cheers,

SD

Do you usually (or always) get the higher onshore exchange rate when you transfer funds from foreign banks into your Thai bank account?

I recall reading earlier that persons using Mastercard bank cards to withdraw funds at Thai ATMs from their foreign bank resulted in them receiving the lower offshore rate, whereas persons using Visa bank cards got the lower onshore rates. Anyone else have this same experience?

Dunno. I have not done any since that policy has went into effect (before end of last year, there was only one rate). The 30% escrow thing scared me, even tho' in theory it should not have affected me, so I have been using Sillypore & US banks since Nov 2006. When I get back to LoS, I'll look into going back to the more convenient for me LoS bank.

Cheers,

SD

The express swift payment from Europe to Thailand takes 2 bank days, if I send today it's in the bank account tomorrow.

The normal, if I send today tuesday, it's in the bank main office in BKK on thursday or friday, changed from SEK to baht and in the the bank account the following day, friday or monday but sometimes already on saturday.

The reason for the delay in swift (Paris I think) has now been revealed, all transactions are reported to (and maybe also approved by) american authorities before transfering.

This is with K-Bank, Suk soi 33 branch.

K-Bank?!?! Kasikorn, Krungthai or Krungthep? those are 3 of 4 largest banks in Thailand!

Kasikorn has a branch between Soi 33 and 33/1

from what i understand funds are transfered in foreign currency into Thailand and the local bank transfers it into THB. so it would use the onshore rate!

I can decide if I want to change to baht with my bank and send it down, but as it for years (long time before on- and offshore rates) has been around 5-7 % more expensive, I'll always send down SEK and now get the onshore rate of course.

Archived