Problems with Cambodian

Sukhumvit

I'm interested in Khmer, but have no real reason to go to the trouble of learning it.

Only started learning it as initially wanted to be able to say please, thankyou, excuse me. Just general pleasantries. Then it sort of snowballed from that. Only been here a month but have picked up a smattering of vocabulary and can identify/write the first ten consonants. That was a bit of a pain to say the least at first. It's a great feeling when the squiggles start to make sense and you can pick them up on signs etc. Just extended visa for another month so hopefully will pick up more.

Still, you don't really need to know the language even if involved in business. The majority of western business guys and bar owners that I've spoken to, who have been here for a few years (one guy has been here 10 years), have extremely limited vocabularies. They rely upon their "partner" to sort things out. To me that's just like being a baby. Not as bad as a couple of British female tourists I met in LOS who said that they were on their 18th trip. They couldn't even say thank you in Thai!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived