The Winchester club

Lusty

Mrs Windsor is my queen too. A very nice sheila too... not at all stuck up. But I've never been asked to vote for her. I reckon she does a good job for the Poms, but her days are numbered downunder. She upset the Kiwis a few years ago on a visit to NZ when she refused to stay to celebrate Remembrance Day there and rushed back to London... Kiwis died for the mother country too, but it was clear where her loyalty really lies.

She is a mere mortal after all. Why all this God-like awe? A case of "the Emperor's got no clothes" (pun intended!)In a democracy we can poke fun at our leaders (George Dubya gets a regular lashing), why not the head of state of UK?

One of the brilliant things about British humour is the ability to laugh at themselves, their foibles and institutions... from Billy Connelly to Blackadder. That's because Britain is strong enough to take it... you had your civil war 400 years ago. When you have a change of government, you quietly line up, mark your ballot sheet, then drag yourself back to the pub. Not many skulls get crushed. Thailand and its people are still struggling with democracy. They are much more fragile. The King of Thailand does a tremendous job creating stability in LOS. That's the perception and desire of his people. So that must be good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PS I think Harlequin's original post was taking the piss actually. His use of the term "washroom" is distinctly Transatlantic... I always chuckle when I hear that euphemism "bathroom" .. what the f**k do you blokes do in there.. shit in the bath?

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: robaus ]

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

PS I think Harlequin's original post was taking the piss actually. His use of the term "washroom" is distinctly Transatlantic... I always chuckle when I hear that euphemism "bathroom" .. what the f**k do you blokes do in there.. shit in the bath?

I guess our choice of words do betray our origins. I am a Canadian, and we pretty much talk the same way as Americans do. Comes from a lifetime of watching their Movies, TV programming, and reading their books and magazines.

Because I am a North American, I had no idea what you meant when you said "Taking the piss" out of something - I had to look it up on the Internet. I am quite serious about my remarks re: the Winchester Club. It is a nice place, but the pictures are an entirely gratuitous insult on the head of my country.

The Harlequin

Monochrome Man,

Thanks for the response, as I said I was just curious.

I agree with you about the Welsh and Scots (AKA the hill tribes) and indeed any part of Britain which wants to leave. Rebuilding Hadrians wall would be worth doing just for fun.

(I am also quite happy for NI to go to Dublin, but this could be part of the British sense of humour as IMHO the reason why the Irish Govt are involved in the "peace process" is that we THREATENED to do just that and they shat themselves!)

Whilst I regard myself as Jersey (and indeed have a passport to prove it, which states I have no right to live or work in the EC) I do regard myself as firmly British (and obviously NOT English :-)

Possibly it's because we are such a small place, broadly share the same culture and realise that we are stronger when part of a bigger group. I do however also support the English sports teams, for some painful reason :-(

Despite having a non EC passport I am however largely in favour of the EC concept although I do not regard myself as a "European" as such - apart that is when outside Europe when I have come to realise, despite large differences, how much we do share with the Europeans as against the Asians and others. (and not just because we look the same, although if I am honest this does probably have something to do with it)

I will agree with you that the term Brits does have some negative connetations, but whenever I have been abroad (and not just Thailand) and the subject of, say, Colonialism comes up I always say that was the English NOT the British :-) And when I am drunk I say I am Scottish, when I am shagging sheep I say I am Welsh, when I am blowing the arms and legs off people I say I am Irish and when I am shagging my sister or my mother I say I am from Guernsey smile.gif" border="0

As this thread is wandering all over the place anyway I thought I would mention another "strange" idea in place called Butterfly Bar in Lamaii, Samuii.

The Thai owners / managers revamped the place and covered all the tables with Union Jack flags - it looked like a BNP / NF Rally was expected and of course when I remarked on this they had no idea what I was talking about - but then again I was drunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived