How good is Thailand healthcare?

junglesoup

In Bumrungrad, I had a possible ulcer and was bringing up blood. I went to the emergency department and was getting tubes stuck uo my nose to get a stomach pump and was vomitting when the pipe was goin down my throat. It was pretty horrible situation. But while all this was goin on the receptionist girl was over trying to get my visa card and my details and I was telling her do you mind waiting. she went away but came back 2 mins later. They could nt get the tube up my nose and down my throat because I was feeling sick and wretching. My right nostril was sore by this time so they tried the left nostril and again this annoying but pretty thai girl was trying to get my visa card. Thought that was very bad, but cant complain about the procedure or how quick the service was...but they were quite cold hearted and non compassionate...

on the other hand samitijev were much nicer and more friendly and werent shiiting thier pants about payment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the USA, they go thru your personal items if you are incapacitated. I arrived at a hospital unconscious. When I came around, some people were rummaging thru my pockets trying to build a criminal case against me. I was pissed.

I once took a person to the hospital that was in serious condition. The hospital had to get the insurance's permission that the insurance was going to pay before they could do anything. No insurance, not even a pain pill.

[color:red]"The law, in the States, says an ER can't turn anybody away, regardless of their ability to pay."[/color]

It would be interesting to see that law. There have been too many cases of people being refused service at one hospital and having to go to another hospital. I personally took one person to the hospital and could not be admitted until the insurance company said they wuld pay for the treatment.

The biggest problem is that people arrive at the hospital, and after waiting 5-10 hours, realize they are not going to get treatment. Then they find out all of the beds are full. Even though the people do not get treatment, they are still charged.

Right now, I am 100% pissed off on the pathetic medical treatment provided in the USA. I personally find Thailand a lot, lot better. I joined the crowd of others who have insurance in their home country but find the convenience of treatment in Thailand to be a lot better.

If you ever get upset by being charged farang prices in Thailand, you should see the disparity in prices for the same service in the USA. I know of one woman who had a head on accident with an Indian who was driving the wrong direction while drunk. The woman and her mother were air lifted to the hospital. The mother's charge for being air lifted was $1000.00. The Woman's charge was $6000.00. Same injuries, same helicopter service. The explanation for the discrepancy: The mother's insurance would only pay $1000.00 while the woman had no insurance. Figure it out.

"I am equally unimpressed by the other H.C. professionals (mostly) like nurses, nursing students, EMTs (teaching EMTs now) , lab techs, enigneers, adminstrators, etc. They are not the sharpest pencils in the box and thus I would question their training, education, and thus eventual competency/analytical (compared to our expectations) and one would have to combine that with the expected lower Thai standards of medical care/outcomes.."

Very well said. This is one of the big problems in Thailand health care system.

Some of the so-called international hospitals now want a deposit of 100,000 B before treatment. I do not usually darry this amount in my pocket. My CC should be good enough, but I have learned the hard way that it can be difficult to charge high amounts in Thailand.

I wish I could agree with you, but I can not. I have given up on getting medical care in the USA and wait to I return to Bangkok. I just can not put up with the stupidity in the USA medical field. I once spend 10 years in the USA trying to get a treatment for some shit on my hands and feet. Went to Bangkok, and was told it was a form of escemea. I was told what to take, and it worked.

Archived