Tipping - Hotel Housekeeping

unit731

Hotel housekeeping staff. Room cleaned every day.

What is the 'normal' tip for housekeeping staff?

Is tipping done every day or at end of stay?

Let's assume that one is staying at a hotel that makes bed every day and cleans room.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if tips are even expected. I'll normally hand them anywhere from B40-100 for extra towels and stuff, which often ensures you'll be looked after for the rest of your stay. Then I'll leave a couple of hundred in the room when I check out. I'm referring to 3-5 star in Bangkok, staying up to a week. I think it's an 'up to you' situation, but I'd be interested to hear what others' habits are.

PS. There's usually a pile of change lying around on a nightstand or tables in my room every day. It's not meant as a tip, it's just excess coinage, and it's never tampered with, as far as I know. :drunk:

Tipping at the end of the trip is nice but kinda makes not too much sense, treat them good and they treat you like a "king" Most hotels rotate their stuff weekly to a different floor! When you have a suite you always have the best maids, usually always the same ones!

If I am staying in a suite I pay them 100 baht a day, 50 baht in a regular room! Always gets me more towels, nice decoration on the bed, once the maid even bought me slippers because she don't wanted me to walk barefoot! I know how much I hate to clean myself, I respect their work more than any other job in Hotel 50 to 100 baht is not much money, for them it means a lot to have 1500 bahr more or less on top of their salary!

I know how much I hate to clean myself, I respect their work more than any other job in Hotel 50 to 100 baht is not much money, for them it means a lot to have 1500 bahr more or less on top of their salary!

That's a really good point as well! I don't make much of a mess in the room, and I don't spend too much time in the room. Sometimes I'll catch a glimpse of another room a maid is working, while walking down the hall, and it's a horrible sight, and the smell wafting out into the corridors is not nice either.

I might just have a bargirl or two over for the night - they have whole families and they cook for themselves (serviced apts.). Whether they tip or not, I don't know, but I somehow doubt it.

In keeping with my PC reputation, I won't mention turbans or burkas. ;)

If staying in 5* a $ per day per guest is / was usual. You can get all you want by pressing the "at your service" button, at least in the Marriott.

Say the RG in Pattaya, a couple of hundred on the first day and a little chat gets you all the towels you need and other toileteries. Paying all on check out is for what ?

Archived