Tipping - Hotel Housekeeping

unit731

Agree totally with the pay by day theory.

I always leave 50 - 100 Bt per day.....under the pillow....

2 reasons for this.

1. The maid "knows" it is for her if you leave it there.

2. Often the staff that check the mini bar are different to the room maids and sometimes hit the rooms before the maid. If the "TIP" is just left out in an obvious place, chances are that the mini Bar girl will grab it...before the Maid gets to the room...

This just ensures the right person gets the tip.

I have followed this practiceever since I was told "How it works" by someone that worked as a room maid.

Also agree that a Tip on the checkout day is relatively pointless if you are looking for good service.

Cheers DS

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. Often the staff that check the mini bar are different to the room maids and sometimes hit the rooms before the maid. If the "TIP" is just left out in an obvious place, chances are that the mini Bar girl will grab it...before the Maid gets to the room...

This just ensures the right person gets the tip.

Jeez,

Never knew tipping was this complicated! :) It makes perfect sense though.

Americans before always promised the maids to tip if good service the last day, this doesn't work in Europe. How they know they'll get anything and maybe they don't work that day.

Instead I learned from experienced travellers to give half the first day and promise more at the end if really good service.

In Thailand remember that a maid in hotels has a salary of 100-120 baht/day (Pattaya), so I tip 100 baht at arrival and 100 every second day. In my normal hotel "my" maid is free every friday and it's always the same girl working instead so she gets 40 or 50 baht for that day. :grin:

Let's assume that one is staying at a hotel that makes bed every day and cleans room.

Fair to assume if you're at a hotel that doesn't clean every day, the question of a tip isn't likely to apply!

I tip whoever shows me the room, leave 100 baht on the bed every once in a while, and leave a couple hundred when I leave. Dumsoda's point about the mini-bar girl is a good one - although if it's so well known, a clever girl will swipe under the pillows when she does the bar... Anyway, I'll be leaving money under the pillow from now on. Thanks, Dumsoda.

I tip because it's nothing for me but makes a difference for her. Plus, I keep crazy hours in Thailand, and I like that she's willing to come in and make the bed at midnight, or whatever. Not to mention that I've always assumed - perhaps wrongly - that a maid well-tipped will have a heightened sense of discretion.

YimSiam

In BKK I stay at the Nana. Usually have two girls cleaning the room together. So, I leave a tip of 40 baht daily in two 20's. Easy for them to split. Like another mentioned, the girls have different days off and leaving a tip at the end of the stay may leave all of it to whoever worked that day. Plus, if they get the tip on a daily basis, I'm likely to get good service on a daily basis.

HH

I usually leave 40 baht per day on the bed for the maids. If it's a small hotel, they remember and give you good service. I especially like it if they make a point of cleaning my room the minute I step out for breakfast in the morning. That way, the cleaning is done for the day and I don't have to worry about when the maids are coming.

Rex

If staying in 5* a $ per day per guest is / was usual. You can get all you want by pressing the "at your service" button, at least in the Marriott.

Marriott has all service charges and tip included! The bosses say "no need to tip"

Guess what.....! They only pay out 70% of the service fees charged from their customers!

Archived