Just another sad argument for gun control

[quote.

As to tiose who hate guns...would you feel better if this guy made a bomb(s) and killed people? what difference does the method make? you will never stop a nut job, unless of course you have the tools to stop him the second he starts.

sorry I do not believe that,

A gun can kill many people in a moment of rage,

much harder to do with a rock or a baseball bat,

you can always pull up the odd ones, but most guns kill family members or innocent bystanders,

very few guns "save" the owner from the bad guys,

Yes I would like there to be no guns , or much less,

but I also know that sadly I am never going to see that day in the USA :(

OC

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gun control debates do little good on this type of forum, I'm surprised it's stayed within the bounds of reasonable discussion this long.

I grew up with guns in "smalltown" Australia; was properly taught, hunted and shot competitively for a few years. I haven't fired one now for at least 30 years.

What stopped me? Having kids, I couldn't bear the thought that one might find the key to the gun safe one day.

Have I survived thirty unarmed years? You work it out.

Not when you personal decision affects everyone else. Where do criminals get most of their guns? In home B&Es. From the innocent consumer who bought it for protection. The bad guys break in, find the gun (which is inevitably not locked up because then it would be useless for protection wouldn't it?), and voila: one more weapon on the street.

Like any circle, you gotta break it somewhere.

And as far as second amendment goes, what part of "a well-regulated militia" do you fail to understand? Oh, I get it, you selectively interpret that line the way my ol' Southern Baptist grandpaw interpreted "wine" in the Bible..."why, that just means 'grape juice' because alcohol is evil." :doah:

Regards,

SD

Been running through the web trying to find impartial comparision stats on US states re gun ownership, firearm related crime rate, accidental firearm deaths,etc Thought it would come up very easily.

The servers not helping much either, dunno whether to blame TOT, Firefox or Google.

Sounds like you believe in being disarmed? Also sounds like you would like everybody else to be disarmed, except for the criminals?

I don't believe, in a free society, that a person can not defend themself. That is not a free society in my book.

On that campus, if one student had a gun to defend themself, would that have made a difference? I say yes.

Yup, I believe the US needs laws akin to the UK or Oz. They work.

Here's the deal - we've got a ton of screwed-up people and we've got a culture that allows someone to essentially walk into a store and grab more firepower than the George Washington's Revolutionary Army had. It's amazing this doesn't happen more, and yet people want to have our country awash in guns.

As a friend just said: "And of course, in the bizarro-effed up world of the NRA, this means we need more guns in our society. You couldn't buy the gun nuts a clue if you spotted them a $50." 5555555555 Pretty spot on.

But seriously, have you ever witnessed someone killed with a gun? How about just shot? Have you ever been shot at in anger? Me...all of the above, several times. First time was a freshman in high school when some kid shot another in the lunch room over his winter jacket. With a gun he nicked from his Dad. Bloody brains all over the wall. I've a very clear mental picture of that 30 years later...

Easy to talk big-n-bad if you've never experienced it (like the suburban rich white kids and their love of all things gangster rap). Once you do, your story changes pretty fast. What about my freedom to be free of ball-less idiots with handguns trying to prove their manhood? (not implying you with that last remark)

Regards,

SD

As a gun owner, and obviously a resposible one who's experienced in their use, do you honestly believe that some kid with a concealable handgun would be capable of taking out a nutter using something capable of shooting nearly 60 people in a very short time?

People I know who have been under fire in both war time and peace say rational thought becomes somewhat elusive. The student would be more likely to hit people around the gunman.

if a few kids in each class room had been packin' fewer would have died.

result of this: more kids will pack to class (with parental approval!)

in Texas now it is ok to shoot first & ask questions later ..

feel intimidated, no need to walk away ..

pop a cap.

it's the law.

200,000,000 guns in the US.

Archived