Just another sad argument for gun control

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just at a guess I would say those who grow up in the country usually hunt for a reason. But agree the city folk's behaviour is just indiscriminate slaughter. Don't worry happens here as well. We did have our own Port Arthur incident remember...........37 dead if my memory is correct.

If just one other person had been armed, it would have ended very quickly. I have several friends who are almost always armed. Both just happen to be former sheriff's deputies.

Given that logic Frash, Baghdad should be the safest place on the planet...

Somehow I think it's not.

Regards,

SD

I suppose one way to deal with it is to force everyone to wear body armour, carry a firearm and attend shooting courses/survival school. Good for jobs in the arms industry!

Next time someone tries to pull the same kind of stunt, everyone would simply lock and load, take cover and settle in for another campus shoot out!

Of course, another option is to implant chips in evryone's brain which can detect the impulse to go on a shooting spree. The chip would automatically admisister an intense neurological shock, forcing the would be trench coat mafioso to curl up in a ball and scream with pain.

The authorities should also consider enforcing a ban on clothing, preventing any potential perps from concealing their weapons.

Maybe a combination of clothes ban, mandatory body armour and brain chip would work best.

...again, but louder HOW DO YOU BAN GUNS SUCCESSFULLY IN THE UNITED STATES? All well and good someone wants to ban guns in the U.S. but its another to actually have a solution.

The post about Americans exporting their 'culture'? Thousands of Americans have been visiting LOS for years and have moved there? Is LOS now a 'wild west' with Americans there extolling everyone to have guns and have made the country more violent? Sorry but that post went over my head. America is a huge country. Its like mutliple countries in one. Any country of size is like that: Russia, China, India for example.

There are places in America that are more peaceful than England, Oz or Germany, some much more violent. I went to school in a small southern college town where I lost my apartment key and my door stayed unlocked all semester and I had no concern that anyone would break in at all and no one did. Friends knew it was unlocked. My neighborhood in Philly was the opposite. Most people had at least 2 or 3 locks on the door and bars on windows. America is homogenous in a few things such as how its view on its rights for instance, but its a country that is extremely diverse as well, both in its people and culture. Those that have this homogenous view of America as if we all think the same and its the same everywhere has either not visited or has chosen to ignore what they have experienced. Some will use this and extrapolate that its this 'culture' that drives its foreign policy in some greater picture view. Hitler banned guns in Germany as well and that didn't seem to make their foreign policy any better. Same with the Soviet Union.

The argument for guns flies out the window with the Switzerland example. The argument has changed to a 'cultural' issue in America. If Americans were more like the Swiss it wouldn't be a problem I suppose. Some countries don't mind having less freedoms than we have here for their security. That's their business. I for one think that once you readily give up one freedom, the others are easier to take away. The same people that want to ban guns in America have a problem with the Patriot Act violating their other civil liberties. It may be a 'can't have your cake and eat it too' proposition with guns as well.

The guy was determined to kill many people. Guns was one way. Tim McVeigh didn't have a gun and killed way more people in Oklahoma. Guns are banned in the UK but a determined terrorist found other means to kill many people. A japanese cult did by releasing serin (I think, can't recall) into their subway system. Determined people will always find a way, gun or no gun.

The NRA are so staunchly pro gun that they won't even concede what most Americans deem logical controls on certain types of weapons, registration and conrols to ensure that folks who shouldn't have it, get it and the virulently anti gun crowd have no real solution to guarantee that banning guns won't have the same effect that banning alcohol did in the 1920s.

It would be interesting to learn why this kind of thing seems to happen far more regularly in the US than elsewhere.

Is it the easy access to guns?

Is it the pervasiveness of violence on TV and in society in general?

Do more people feel alienated from society in the US than elsewhere?

Have people become so used to instant gratification that they flip out and carry out atrocities for little or no reason?

Is it a combination of alienation and "shoot 'em up" syndrone, with people spending a lot more time in front of computer game screens shooting the shit out of people, than interacting with people in real life?

Is the level of mental care / counselling available in the US insufficient?

Why?

Any ideas?

Ok....just to be fair....

the USA is 300 million people ,

so make your comparisons with an area of 300 million Europeans ....

but lots of yeses to what you say above

and add gangster rap lifestyle where people get "respect" by shooting someone or getting shot.

Plus lots of poor people compared to the middle class,

Its a big problem and we will fix it , right after we fix Iraq and a few other places :(

OC

How does a social fabric stop people like this slipping through the net? Australia has a good one and Martin Bryant happened. The pro guns have a point when they say only the bad guys will have guns, so make possession of certain types of guns a major crime, automatic 20 to life, any semi or fully automatic weapons have no place in private hands. Make club membership compulsory for ANY private gun ownership and bring in draconian laws for offenders.

Most armed criminals in Australia use them on each other, the Melbourne amphetamines war is an example, no "civilians" were killed.

Archived